Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Retired

Default Update on microwae oven

I had the Message in here a couple of days ago on the microwave oven,
saying that I had replaced the diode and the capacitor and ir still
would not work. Well after listening to your replies and doing some
more checking on my own I decided it was the magnetron. So because it
has a ten year warrenity from GE, I gave them a call even though they
had supplied one three months eariler. They said the same thing that
they told me then. "You can not replace it yourself, you must get a GE
service man to do it(only much stronger this time), which you have to
pay for".Well. after much back and forth, they agreed to sent it out to
me free of charge both times. Short story long, It now works again.
Thanks

Retired

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

The reason why they don't like the client to change the magnetron
themselves, is because of the safety issues.

After changing the tube, did you do the proper tests to see that the tube is
working within specs? Reference must be made to the service manual or
supplemental service information for your oven.

Did you do the radiation check around the oven using a safety radiation
meter? This is considered an important issue with these.

--

JANA
_____

"Retired" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had the Message in here a couple of days ago on the microwave oven,
saying that I had replaced the diode and the capacitor and ir still
would not work. Well after listening to your replies and doing some
more checking on my own I decided it was the magnetron. So because it
has a ten year warrenity from GE, I gave them a call even though they
had supplied one three months eariler. They said the same thing that
they told me then. "You can not replace it yourself, you must get a GE
service man to do it(only much stronger this time), which you have to
pay for".Well. after much back and forth, they agreed to sent it out to
me free of charge both times. Short story long, It now works again.
Thanks

Retired

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art

Correct: There are safety issues that normally the average consumer never
considers. The fact is these Microwave ovens have been "Widow Makers" in the
exact sense of these words. Therefore the necessary warnings and procedures
that are mandated. Congrats in getting it operational, however GE and the
retailer are basically doing the correct legal things when they recommend
very heavily that a "Qualified Service Technician" be accountable for
repairing these devices. Not intended as spam, just FYI!! Again, good job:
But do the safety checks for you and your families protection. (Or the end
user-whomever it is).
"JANA" wrote in message
The reason why they don't like the client to change the magnetron
themselves, is because of the safety issues.

After changing the tube, did you do the proper tests to see that the tube
is
working within specs? Reference must be made to the service manual or
supplemental service information for your oven.

Did you do the radiation check around the oven using a safety radiation
meter? This is considered an important issue with these.

--

JANA
_____

"Retired" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had the Message in here a couple of days ago on the microwave oven,
saying that I had replaced the diode and the capacitor and ir still
would not work. Well after listening to your replies and doing some
more checking on my own I decided it was the magnetron. So because it
has a ten year warrenity from GE, I gave them a call even though they
had supplied one three months eariler. They said the same thing that
they told me then. "You can not replace it yourself, you must get a GE
service man to do it(only much stronger this time), which you have to
pay for".Well. after much back and forth, they agreed to sent it out to
me free of charge both times. Short story long, It now works again.
Thanks

Retired

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Haney

Hello Retired,

If I understand you correctly, this is the 2nd magnetron in 3 months for
this same microwave? I would be concerned about what is causing them to
fail (the original & 1 replacement). They are usually pretty hearty. Good
luck with this new one, hope it is truly fixed.

Lenny

oups.com...