Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken_B

Default S-video cables

Hi... I'm planning to build a few custom-length S-video cables. I can locate
the mini-din plugs, but don't know what type of cable to look for. Parts
sources I looked at don't seem to have an "s-video" cable category. Any
advice? Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two

In article q83Vf.363$C85.130@dukeread10, "Ken_B"
wrote:

Hi... I'm planning to build a few custom-length S-video cables. I can locate
the mini-din plugs, but don't know what type of cable to look for. Parts
sources I looked at don't seem to have an "s-video" cable category. Any
advice? Thanks.

Cables dot com will make one to any length you want. Or, buy a long one
anywhere and wack it to the lengths you want, with one end already
prepared.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Beloved Leader

Isn't the connector the same thing that is used on a Macintosh ADB
cable? I think it's called a mini-DIN 8.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw

wrote:

Hi... I'm planning to build a few custom-length S-video cables. I can locate
the mini-din plugs, but don't know what type of cable to look for. Parts
sources I looked at don't seem to have an "s-video" cable category. Any
advice? Thanks.

Your best bet will be to buy some standard cables that are too long, and
chop off the part you don't need.

If you can find one twice as long (or more), that'll save a little money.

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:52:59 -0600, "Ken_B" wrote:

Hi... I'm planning to build a few custom-length S-video cables. I can locate
the mini-din plugs, but don't know what type of cable to look for. Parts
sources I looked at don't seem to have an "s-video" cable category. Any
advice? Thanks.

The only critical thing is for the cables to have an impedance of 75
ohms. You also need to find cables thin enough to fit in a mini-din
plug.

Making your own cables is a good way to be sure you've got good
quality cables without paying far more than they're worth. Most of
the cheap S-video cables I've cut open were made using regular
stranded wires, no coax, not even twisted pairs.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken_B

"Andy Cuffe" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:52:59 -0600, "Ken_B" wrote:

Hi... I'm planning to build a few custom-length S-video cables. I can
locate
the mini-din plugs, but don't know what type of cable to look for. Parts
sources I looked at don't seem to have an "s-video" cable category. Any
advice? Thanks.

The only critical thing is for the cables to have an impedance of 75
ohms. You also need to find cables thin enough to fit in a mini-din
plug.

Making your own cables is a good way to be sure you've got good
quality cables without paying far more than they're worth. Most of
the cheap S-video cables I've cut open were made using regular
stranded wires, no coax, not even twisted pairs.
Andy Cuffe

I'm pretty sure the ones I've got are cheap like that. And too long. I'm
connecting some equipment sitting less that a foot apart, and my cables are
all about 6'.
So how do I find 4-conductor 75-ohm cable? And you say the cable should have
twisted pairs?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw

In article .com,
"Beloved Leader" wrote:

Isn't the connector the same thing that is used on a Macintosh ADB
cable? I think it's called a mini-DIN 8.

Yes, it is, but it's only got 4 pins, so it's a mini-DIN 4. The 8 pin
was used by Apple for serial ports.

Isaac