DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   S-video cables (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/150560-s-video-cables.html)

Ken_B March 25th 06 03:52 AM

S-video cables

Hi... I'm planning to build a few custom-length S-video cables. I can locate
the mini-din plugs, but don't know what type of cable to look for. Parts
sources I looked at don't seem to have an "s-video" cable category. Any
advice? Thanks.

Smitty Two March 25th 06 04:23 AM

S-video cables

In article q83Vf.363$C85.130@dukeread10, "Ken_B"
wrote:

Hi... I'm planning to build a few custom-length S-video cables. I can locate
the mini-din plugs, but don't know what type of cable to look for. Parts
sources I looked at don't seem to have an "s-video" cable category. Any
advice? Thanks.

Cables dot com will make one to any length you want. Or, buy a long one
anywhere and wack it to the lengths you want, with one end already
prepared.

Beloved Leader March 25th 06 05:05 AM

S-video cables

Isn't the connector the same thing that is used on a Macintosh ADB
cable? I think it's called a mini-DIN 8.

isw March 25th 06 06:17 AM

S-video cables

wrote:

Hi... I'm planning to build a few custom-length S-video cables. I can locate
the mini-din plugs, but don't know what type of cable to look for. Parts
sources I looked at don't seem to have an "s-video" cable category. Any
advice? Thanks.

Your best bet will be to buy some standard cables that are too long, and
chop off the part you don't need.

If you can find one twice as long (or more), that'll save a little money.

Isaac

Andy Cuffe March 25th 06 08:49 AM

S-video cables

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:52:59 -0600, "Ken_B" wrote:

Hi... I'm planning to build a few custom-length S-video cables. I can locate
the mini-din plugs, but don't know what type of cable to look for. Parts
sources I looked at don't seem to have an "s-video" cable category. Any
advice? Thanks.

The only critical thing is for the cables to have an impedance of 75
ohms. You also need to find cables thin enough to fit in a mini-din
plug.

Making your own cables is a good way to be sure you've got good
quality cables without paying far more than they're worth. Most of
the cheap S-video cables I've cut open were made using regular
stranded wires, no coax, not even twisted pairs.
Andy Cuffe

Ken_B March 25th 06 02:14 PM

S-video cables

"Andy Cuffe" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:52:59 -0600, "Ken_B" wrote:

Hi... I'm planning to build a few custom-length S-video cables. I can
locate
the mini-din plugs, but don't know what type of cable to look for. Parts
sources I looked at don't seem to have an "s-video" cable category. Any
advice? Thanks.

The only critical thing is for the cables to have an impedance of 75
ohms. You also need to find cables thin enough to fit in a mini-din
plug.

Making your own cables is a good way to be sure you've got good
quality cables without paying far more than they're worth. Most of
the cheap S-video cables I've cut open were made using regular
stranded wires, no coax, not even twisted pairs.
Andy Cuffe

I'm pretty sure the ones I've got are cheap like that. And too long. I'm
connecting some equipment sitting less that a foot apart, and my cables are
all about 6'.
So how do I find 4-conductor 75-ohm cable? And you say the cable should have
twisted pairs?

isw March 26th 06 09:06 AM

S-video cables

In article .com,
"Beloved Leader" wrote:

Isn't the connector the same thing that is used on a Macintosh ADB
cable? I think it's called a mini-DIN 8.

Yes, it is, but it's only got 4 pins, so it's a mini-DIN 4. The 8 pin
was used by Apple for serial ports.

Isaac