Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Samsung PCH5XX

Not 100% on the model, but it is the chassis that has the side board
with the convergence, audio and dynamic focus outputs.

There are alot of things not to like in there, but I have seen worse.
This one came in with a pushed in screen and a red V convergence
problem. Reset the screen, threw in an STK and I thought I was pretty
much home. Never think that. I mean NEVER think that.

Upon being turned off and then back on, I get a pix out of Hsync by
about eight bars, and no or very little green. Looks like a color
oscillator off too. In OSD green is fine and in sync. All modes of PIP
produce the same thing in all modes, and it is the same in video input,
even without a signal.

This has the earmarks of a scan convertor problem, but the set is not
HDTV. Unless it is an HDTV with a 480i mode, I can tell by the OSD. I
could also tell by the picture when it had one. Even if it is an HDTV
and in 480i, it wouldn't need to use the scan converter right ? It
would be pretty much turned off don't ya think ?

This seems like some sort of data or initialization problem, it comes
on and certain actions cause it to occur. Turning off and back on,
sometimes changing channels or inputs. The only cure is to unplug it.
Also the hotter it gets, the worse.

Unfortunately that points away from lytics unless they **** like a
Mits. I might get lucky and find an overheated 5V regulator but I won't
hold my breath. This was at the end of the day and I haven't had the
main chassis out.

I know I won't get too much in the way of specifics right now, but
tomorrow I'll be back with the rest of the data. I post tonight because
I will check, if anyone has any pointers, a certain source to check or
common failure etc. More importantly if you know the set and need a
specific voltage or something, I will get it.

Thank you, see you tomorrow.

JURB0