Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Muderick

Default cellphone qu estion

If I leave my cell phone near my computer speakers I will hear occasional
buzzing, clicking, etc. Before the phone begins to ring, I hear a
dah..dah.daahhhhh. I know this is RF interference being picked up by the
amplifier in the speaker. If one were to record this sound with a
microphone at 11 or 22Khz, would it be possible to obtain any information
(usable signal) from the recorded audio?
Thanks,

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Schuler

"Mike Muderick" wrote in message
If I leave my cell phone near my computer speakers I will hear occasional
buzzing, clicking, etc. Before the phone begins to ring, I hear a
dah..dah.daahhhhh. I know this is RF interference being picked up by the
amplifier in the speaker. If one were to record this sound with a
microphone at 11 or 22Khz, would it be possible to obtain any information
(usable signal) from the recorded audio?
Thanks,

The phone is periodically querying its environment as it programmed to do.
No, on a practical basis, the audio that you could record is not useful.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Well this answer is similar to your question..

I have a friend who lives close to an AM band radio station. If he turns his
computer speakres on they will faintly pick up the radio station near by. It
is kind of coo.. I would immagine if cell phones were still analog you could
probably hear a conversation the same way.

- Mike

"Mike Muderick" wrote in message
If I leave my cell phone near my computer speakers I will hear occasional
buzzing, clicking, etc. Before the phone begins to ring, I hear a
dah..dah.daahhhhh. I know this is RF interference being picked up by the
amplifier in the speaker. If one were to record this sound with a
microphone at 11 or 22Khz, would it be possible to obtain any information
(usable signal) from the recorded audio?
Thanks,

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS

In article , "Michael Kennedy" wrote:
Well this answer is similar to your question..

I have a friend who lives close to an AM band radio station. If he turns his
computer speakres on they will faintly pick up the radio station near by. It
is kind of coo.. I would immagine if cell phones were still analog you could
probably hear a conversation the same way.

- Mike

I don't know how many current phones still do, but both my phones
have both analog and digital capability. FM not AM analog.

The basic problem with AM is AM. Amplitude modulation. Aircraft
radio's use some AM, but most communication services
are FM or now digital. Analog cell phones are some type of FM.

Strong FM and television stations can easily demod into
active devices, but not always audible.

If you use one of those Led phone blinkers that work from
radiation, you will see the same thing occuring before a ring
or when the phone is communication with a tower.

greg

"Mike Muderick" wrote in message
If I leave my cell phone near my computer speakers I will hear occasional
buzzing, clicking, etc. Before the phone begins to ring, I hear a
dah..dah.daahhhhh. I know this is RF interference being picked up by the
amplifier in the speaker. If one were to record this sound with a
microphone at 11 or 22Khz, would it be possible to obtain any information
(usable signal) from the recorded audio?
Thanks,

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article , "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:
[...]

If a cell phone is in a roaming area, and especially if its in a remote
area, the phone needs to transmit on high power, where if it has good
signal strength, it transmits on low power. It makes a huge difference
in battery charge time, in standby mode. On roaming mode, it will tend
to communicate with the tower much more often, than being in a home
area.

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Schuler

Typical example of "topic drift":

"If one were to record this sound with a
microphone at 11 or 22Khz, would it be possible to obtain any information
(usable signal) from the recorded audio?"

The basic answer is still "NO."

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Frank S.

It is either a GSM (Cingular, Tmobile Suncom etc.) the amplifier if
detecting the rf signal which is a pulsed signal. It is the phone
"checking in" with the base station,
There is no "usable" information being transmited (other then to the phone"
Frank