Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave

Default tuner repair problem

I recently acquired a Sansui T-80 am/fm tuner. The sound was pretty good,
but I had some flaky performance issues: The tuner would periodicaly lose
its' quartz-lock and the "tuned" inducator would drift badly. Also, the
entire digital display would periodically dim and lose some or all
functionality.

I opened up the case and first off noted that the main filter caps on the
power supply were leaky. Well, I figured, might as well bite the bullet and
replace all of the electrolytics given that this tuner was built in 1981.
So last night I replaced all 44 caps. I had trouble finding one of the spec
caps, a 0.15uF 100V electrolytic, and so ordered and installed two film caps
of this rating instead. All replacement caps matched the ratings of the
originals EXCEPT those 0.15uF caps... I think a previous owner had run into
the same problem with availability of this cap in an electrolytic and had
substituted a 0.22uF 100V.

I cleaned up the boards, put the whole unit back together and powered it up.
Well, first thing I noticed was the sound... low volume, tinny, no base at
all. Whereas before I started 25% volume on my amp would shake the house,
now I can easily go past 50% and still can't feel any thump in the floor.
The tuner drift issue has gone away, I suspect a cap labelled "AFC bias" was
the culprit there. However, I still have the dimming issue with the digital
display; perhaps the +5VDC regulator that powers the display board is flaky?
It's in a tough spot to blast with heat or cold without affecting a whole
whack of other components.

I left the tuner on all night thinking maybe there is some sort of initial
"burn-in" period and I THINK it sounded a bit better than at midnight last
night, but who knows...

Can anyone tell me where I might start to diagnose the tinny sound problem?
There are but a handful of coupling caps in the FM signal path, some in the
IF amp section, some adjacent to the MPX decoder. I am inclined to toss
back in the 0.22uF electrolytics that I replaced with film caps; they are
output coupling caps just to see what happens.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mr. Land

If you actually replaced 44 caps, you deserve to get this working!

Look for free-standing TO-220 voltage regulators. Freeze 'em or heat
them up, see if any effect, or just replace them (heck, you've already
replaced most of the PS). Might be worth a shot...

Good luck.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave

"Mr. Land" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you actually replaced 44 caps, you deserve to get this working!

Look for free-standing TO-220 voltage regulators. Freeze 'em or heat
them up, see if any effect, or just replace them (heck, you've already
replaced most of the PS). Might be worth a shot...

Good luck.

I replaced the single +5VDC regulator last night. We'll see if the problem
goes away.

Dave