Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jack

Default WTD: Omnibook 6100 Eeprom updating disk for LCD.

I changed the LCD to a 15" (used to have 14") on my Omnibook 6100.
Now the LCD does not function and on external display it says that the LCD
is switched off due to a wrong setting in the eeprom and that I have to set
the eeprom with a service software.

Does anyone have a copy of this? I got one copy, but it was for a 6000 model
and it claims a "Wrong platform" error.

Help appreciated.

Jan
Finland

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

Default Omnibook 6100 Eeprom updating disk for LCD.

"Jack" wrote in message
.. .
I changed the LCD to a 15" (used to have 14") on my Omnibook 6100.
Now the LCD does not function and on external display it says that the LCD
is switched off due to a wrong setting in the eeprom and that I have to
set the eeprom with a service software.

Does anyone have a copy of this? I got one copy, but it was for a 6000
model and it claims a "Wrong platform" error.

Help appreciated.

Jan
Finland

FWIW, when an HP engineer came out to my premises to replace an LCD on my
6100, he told me the video eeprom update was not generally available to the
general public. You could try asking your country's HP branch if they could
possibly send you out a copy, the worst they can do is say no! As a last
resort you may have to send it in to HP to get it updated, which may not be
cost effective.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jack

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Jack" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yes, I am aware of this and that's why I am asking here.
HP wants $400 to update the eeprom!

Jan

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Jack" wrote in message

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Jack" wrote in message
.. .
I changed the LCD to a 15" (used to have 14") on my Omnibook 6100.
Now the LCD does not function and on external display it says that the
LCD is switched off due to a wrong setting in the eeprom and that I have
to set the eeprom with a service software.

Does anyone have a copy of this? I got one copy, but it was for a 6000
model and it claims a "Wrong platform" error.

Help appreciated.

Jan
Finland

Yes, that sounds like HP! Disgraceful! Good luck with your search.

Dave
FWIW, when an HP engineer came out to my premises to replace an LCD on my
6100, he told me the video eeprom update was not generally available to
the general public. You could try asking your country's HP branch if they
could possibly send you out a copy, the worst they can do is say no! As a
last resort you may have to send it in to HP to get it updated, which may
not be cost effective.

Dave

Yes, I am aware of this and that's why I am asking here.
HP wants $400 to update the eeprom!

Jan

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Jack" wrote in message
.. .
I changed the LCD to a 15" (used to have 14") on my Omnibook 6100.
Now the LCD does not function and on external display it says that the LCD
is switched off due to a wrong setting in the eeprom and that I have to
set the eeprom with a service software.

Does anyone have a copy of this? I got one copy, but it was for a 6000
model and it claims a "Wrong platform" error.

Help appreciated.

Jan
Finland

Did the replacement screen come with a non-working laptop? If so, someone
who can do surface mount soldering/desoldering might be able to transplant
the eeprom over.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jack

Done that, been there. Will not work, requires the same diskette.
Thanks anyway ;-)

Jan

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Jack" wrote in message
.. .
I changed the LCD to a 15" (used to have 14") on my Omnibook 6100.
Now the LCD does not function and on external display it says that the
LCD is switched off due to a wrong setting in the eeprom and that I have
to set the eeprom with a service software.

Does anyone have a copy of this? I got one copy, but it was for a 6000
model and it claims a "Wrong platform" error.

Help appreciated.

Jan
Finland

Did the replacement screen come with a non-working laptop? If so, someone
who can do surface mount soldering/desoldering might be able to transplant
the eeprom over.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jack

Just FYI, if anyone else needs this utility, I found it he
http://www.ccc.sk/ob6100.htm

It's a slow download (app.2-5Kb/ ), but be patient, it will come and I
tested it and it works!
Now my 6100 works with the 15" display :-)

Jan

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Jack" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Jack" wrote in message
.. .
Just FYI, if anyone else needs this utility, I found it he
http://www.ccc.sk/ob6100.htm

It's a slow download (app.2-5Kb/ ), but be patient, it will come and I
tested it and it works!
Now my 6100 works with the 15" display :-)

Jan

Thanks Jack, just downloaded it myself!

There must be less load on the server right now- it came in in 30 seconds.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 10:52:35 +0200, "Jack" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Just FYI, if anyone else needs this utility, I found it he
http://www.ccc.sk/ob6100.htm

It's a slow download (app.2-5Kb/ ), but be patient, it will come and I
tested it and it works!
Now my 6100 works with the 15" display :-)

Jan

HP charge $400 for that? *******s.

- Franc Zabkar