Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sherman Oraas

Default Panasonic CQ-C1300U weird problem

I have a Pioneer CQ-C1300U car CD player / FM receiver. For two years it
has worked well.

I recently moved it to another vehicle. Now I find that when I play the
radio, it works fine. All four speakers work, and the balance and fader
controls work fine. However, when I play a CD, I get sound from only one
speaker (the left front). If I move the balance control to the right, or
the fader to the rear, the sound almost totally disappears.

I am utterly mystified by this. There seem to be two choices - either I
wired it wrong, or I broke it during the move to the new vehicle. But I
can't even imagine what wiring error, or what internal circuitry problem,
could cause these symptoms.

Help, help !!

Sherman

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR North

Car stereos are good for vibration induced opens after a couple years,
depending on many variables. Look for damaged solder joints on any
connection between boards that are at right angles to each other. Also,
cable/wire connections to the boards where the cable or wire can move
and flex. My Audi radio is similar to yours. Plays only left channel on
FM, stereo on tape. I can wiggle the amp board (soldered at right angle
to the main board) and get stereo on FM. I haven't fixed it, because the
radio is a real POS anyway.
JR

Sherman Oraas wrote:
I have a Pioneer CQ-C1300U car CD player / FM receiver. For two years it
has worked well.

I recently moved it to another vehicle. Now I find that when I play the
radio, it works fine. All four speakers work, and the balance and fader
controls work fine. However, when I play a CD, I get sound from only one
speaker (the left front). If I move the balance control to the right, or
the fader to the rear, the sound almost totally disappears.

I am utterly mystified by this. There seem to be two choices - either I
wired it wrong, or I broke it during the move to the new vehicle. But I
can't even imagine what wiring error, or what internal circuitry problem,
could cause these symptoms.

Help, help !!

Sherman

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks, but I found the problem. Apparently there is an external amp
in my vehicle. I connected the antenna power line from the CD player
to what I thought was the antenna power line in the vehicle. But the
truck has no power antenna, and apparently that line turned on the
external power amp. So whenever the radio was on, and the player
thought the power antenna should be up, it applied power to that line.
Which turned on the external amp, and then everything worked. But the
CD player does not need the antenna, so it turned it off.

I fixed it by rewiring it so that the remote amp power line from the CD
player was used. Then everything worked.

The only mystery left is, why did any speakers work when a CD was being
played? With the external amp off, there should be no sound. That
mystery will have to remain unresolved, I think. It works now, so I
will leave it alone.

Sherman