Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR North

Default Panasonic CQ-C1300U weird problem

Car stereos are good for vibration induced opens after a couple years,
depending on many variables. Look for damaged solder joints on any
connection between boards that are at right angles to each other. Also,
cable/wire connections to the boards where the cable or wire can move
and flex. My Audi radio is similar to yours. Plays only left channel on
FM, stereo on tape. I can wiggle the amp board (soldered at right angle
to the main board) and get stereo on FM. I haven't fixed it, because the
radio is a real POS anyway.
JR

Sherman Oraas wrote:
I have a Pioneer CQ-C1300U car CD player / FM receiver. For two years it
has worked well.

I recently moved it to another vehicle. Now I find that when I play the
radio, it works fine. All four speakers work, and the balance and fader
controls work fine. However, when I play a CD, I get sound from only one
speaker (the left front). If I move the balance control to the right, or
the fader to the rear, the sound almost totally disappears.

I am utterly mystified by this. There seem to be two choices - either I
wired it wrong, or I broke it during the move to the new vehicle. But I
can't even imagine what wiring error, or what internal circuitry problem,
could cause these symptoms.

Help, help !!

Sherman