Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Seagull149

Default PTC sensor for oiltemp. gauge

Hi,

Our vintage aircraft are operated with an appr. 50 year old
oiltemp.gauge. Alas the sensorprobes have all failed.
In a test setting it was determined that the probe was of a PTC type
with the following characteristics;
T( in Celcius) R (Ohm)
120 151
110 145
100 138
90 134
80 129
70 124
60 119
50 113
40 108
30 99
10 95
We haven't been able to find a PTC sensor yet, anyone out there with a
good advice, because we would like to go on with the original
instrument,

thanks

Michiel

www.seagull-formation.nl

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

[...]

You might try the " components " forum on www.elektor-electronics.co.uk

This is just the sort of challenge that readers of Elektor Electronics
magazine like, and as an added bonus, the magazine is based in your homeland
of Holland. Get it sorted, and you can probably get some extra publicity for
your group by writing an article for the mag on how you solved your problem
( assuming you do ... )

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

On 17 Feb 2006 07:09:29 -0800, "Seagull149" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

[...]

I notice that the characteristic is mostly linear, excepting for
possible typos at the lowest two temps. Maybe you could adapt an IC
temperature sensor and use its output to drive a current sink. Or you
could take the output of *any* resistive temp sensor and use a PIC
micro to translate the resistance values via a lookup table. The PIC's
output could then drive a cheap 8-bit IC DAC or an R-2R DAC, which
would in turn drive a current sink for the gauge.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:00:30 +0000, "Neil J. Harris"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

HI,
could it be an ordinary 100 Ohm PRT, 100 Ohms at 0 Deg.C and 138 Ohms at
100deg.C etc.?
I don't have the tables to hand but I will check on Monday.

Looks plausible, depending on the accuracy of the OP's measurements:
http://www.thermometricscorp.com/plt100ohm0c0.html

In message , Franc Zabkar
writes