Posted to sci.electronics.repair
hzak

Default Sony CCD tr66 Video 8 handycam

I have not used this camera for about three years. My son wanted to use it
for school project. The play back works fine. When the camera is turned
on, the scrren as look in the view finder is dark. It almost look like
that the shutter did not open but it is open. Any ideas on what may be
wrong with this camcorder? Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jumpster Jiver

hzak wrote:

I have not used this camera for about three years. My son wanted to use it
for school project. The play back works fine. When the camera is turned
on, the scrren as look in the view finder is dark. It almost look like
that the shutter did not open but it is open. Any ideas on what may be
wrong with this camcorder? Thanks in advance for your help.

Unfortunately it probably has dozens of bad capacitors. Unless this
camera has some sort of extreme sentimental value or something it's
probably not worth repair.
It can be repaired, but the amount of labor involved would cost you many
hundreds of dollars.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
hzak

Thanks....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR North

You might try repeatedly powering up and shutting off the unit. Also try
powering up, and leaving it running by setting it on record/standby or
some other setting that defeats the auto shut-off. You might just
rejuvenate those caps and restore function, at least temporarily.
Camcorders are known for going TU because they sit for years with no
operation. Not good for the electronics. I power up my 3 Sonys every
couple of weeks.
JR