Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dani

Default CRT screen burn in.

JVC rear projection T.V., less than one year old. Screen burn in on
both sides from customer using wrong aspect ratio. Only minor burn in.
I talked to JVC, of course not warranty, but how about "reverse burn
in"? Inputting an NTSC signal with white on both sides, to make the CRT
phosforus on the sides wear in to match the middle. JVC guy said they
have had no luck with this. Just wondering how, if any of you have
tried this. If so, what kind of signal, how long, & results. Thanks,
Dani.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Dani wrote:
JVC rear projection T.V., less than one year old. Screen burn in on
both sides from customer using wrong aspect ratio. Only minor burn in.
I talked to JVC, of course not warranty, but how about "reverse burn
in"? Inputting an NTSC signal with white on both sides, to make the CRT
phosforus on the sides wear in to match the middle. JVC guy said they
have had no luck with this. Just wondering how, if any of you have
tried this. If so, what kind of signal, how long, & results. Thanks,
Dani.

You can try it, I'd use a signal from a computer but you'd better get
the alignment dead on or you'll have two vertical strips. If I were
attempting this I'd check the screen every hour or so for change, if you
crank the brightness and contrast up a bit it won't take real long with
it displaying white bars, but don't go up too high, I've seen a few
cracked PTV CRTs.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G.

You are going to have to find a pattern that is dead on. Maybe you con
find a way to do it from a computer, or some type of programmble video
effects generator. The intensity, timing, and pattern will have to be
exact. In any event this will be difficult to match.

Jerry G.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del

James Sweet wrote:

if you
crank the brightness and contrast up a bit it won't take real long with
it displaying white bars,

I'd guess the contrast is already cranked up as a default mode, which
is why this TV is showing that much screen burn in only a year,
regardless of what mode it was watched in.

My PTV is 3 years old, and shows zero pattern burn on the CRT faces.
Of course I set up the black level correctly, and add just enough
contrast to make the picture natural.

John