Junior Member

Unhappy 1997 Phillips Magnavox-any ways to get reception?

HI
This will seem like a real dumb question but...
just purchased a 27" 1997 Phillips Magnavox on Ebay for a friend who doesn't have cable but has uses rabbit ears on her current TV. Much to our dismay, we didn't check to see if it was 'rabbit ear ready' and it is not. So...does anyone know of a way to get reception on a TV that only has a cable input without having cable or satelite?
Thanks

Last edited by Kimbyj : January 19th 06 at 10:47 PM
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim

Default 1997 Phillips Magnavox

The set most certainly has a VHF/UHF tuner built in. If she already
has the rabbit ears, then one of these would allow you to hook it up:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Modern set-up antennas may already have the coaxial connector. I don't
know, I haven't used one in years...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G.

Modern TV sets are made to be used with cable services, or satellite
recievers.

You can go to a Radio Shack and see if it is possible to have a ballen
coil adabtor to go from the 75 ohm connector to the 300 ohm connections
required for rabbit ears. You must also find out if the tuner in the
set can recieve the local UHF and VHF stations. Most sets can cover
both the cable bands, and the standard TV terrestrial bands.

Jerry G.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Erich Schultheis, the man that owns an ISP.

--
Kimbyj

An almost 10 year old Philips Magnavox? Are you sure it ain't just
broken?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

You may have to select "antenna" or "air" from a setup menu
to set up the tuning correctly. Get an antenna with a 75 ohm
impedance, or use a balun with the old rabbit ears.