Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Nick

Default "hourglass" picture on Sony KV28WS2U

I have a Sony KV28WS2U that has worked fine for approx 9 years.

Lately the picture has started to be intermittently distorted. The picture
will reach all 4 corners but be horisontally narrower. The picture has
almost an "hourglass" shape. If the TV has been on for long the problem goes
away, but as time goes on this takes longer and longer to happen. Last night
we had the hourglass picture all evening.

I don't want to spend very much on a repair as I want to buy a flat screen
within the next 12-24 months. However, as prices are coming down in a steady
pace I hope to wait just a little while longer.

Can anyone say anything clever about what is wrong and how much it would
cost to repair?

(I'm in the UK)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

If the problem goes away it's probably not a bad yoke, but I'd
look at the pincushion correction circuitry.

Nick wrote:
I have a Sony KV28WS2U that has worked fine for approx 9 years.

Lately the picture has started to be intermittently distorted. The picture
will reach all 4 corners but be horisontally narrower. The picture has
almost an "hourglass" shape. If the TV has been on for long the problem goes
away, but as time goes on this takes longer and longer to happen. Last night
we had the hourglass picture all evening.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Nick wrote:
I have a Sony KV28WS2U that has worked fine for approx 9 years.

Lately the picture has started to be intermittently distorted. The picture
will reach all 4 corners but be horisontally narrower. The picture has
almost an "hourglass" shape. If the TV has been on for long the problem goes
away, but as time goes on this takes longer and longer to happen. Last night
we had the hourglass picture all evening.

I don't want to spend very much on a repair as I want to buy a flat screen
within the next 12-24 months. However, as prices are coming down in a steady
pace I hope to wait just a little while longer.

Can anyone say anything clever about what is wrong and how much it would
cost to repair?

(I'm in the UK)

Pincussion circuit, probably a cracked solder joint. About the cheapest
repair there is, so long as you don't keep using it and cause more damage.