Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Oven latch repair?

My Whirlpool oven/range makes an awful buzzing/vibrating alarm when I
try to start the self-clean cycle. The noise goes on and off until I
turn off the oven, then it takes a little while for the door to unlock.

I unplugged the appliance and after plugging it back in it showed F5
on the display. The oven manual doesn't explain the error codes, but
from searching online I believe it indicates a problem with the door
latch. Whirlpool no longer provides tech support by phone, so I'll
have to pay a fortune to a repair person unless there's a part I can
replace myself.

Advice, anyone? How can I tell if it is a problem with the latch or
seal or just the latch sensor?

Thank you.

Greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
none

wrote:
My Whirlpool oven/range makes an awful buzzing/vibrating alarm when I
try to start the self-clean cycle. The noise goes on and off until I
turn off the oven, then it takes a little while for the door to unlock.

I unplugged the appliance and after plugging it back in it showed F5
on the display. The oven manual doesn't explain the error codes, but
from searching online I believe it indicates a problem with the door
latch. Whirlpool no longer provides tech support by phone, so I'll
have to pay a fortune to a repair person unless there's a part I can
replace myself.

Advice, anyone? How can I tell if it is a problem with the latch or
seal or just the latch sensor?

Thank you.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Is the buzzing/vibrating sound during the self cleaning actually an
alarm or is it the heating elements? I imagine that during the clean
cycle the oven ramps the heating elements up to 100% capacity and they
draw a large amount of current. If one of the elements has a loose
connection it could start to vibrate at 60Hz and even worse the
connection could start to heat up and melt or catch fire.

As far as the latch goes it sounds like its working the way it is
supposed to. When the self cleaning cycle is started the latch should
prevent you from opening the oven until it is cooled off or some
predetermined time delay has passed. Its a safety feature. Or are you
saying that now the latch will not open at all?

burnin
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I would go to a store selling the type/brand of appliance that also
does repairs and nicely describe the problem and see what reaction you
get. Manyh places are happy to help potential customers. You might be
pleasantly surprised. I also have a local universal appliance parts
store a few miles away, and they are a fountain of knowledge about
common appliance problems. Treating them nicely has saved me big $$$
over the past couple of decades.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
buffalobill

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2004/11/27/ma...kenmore-range/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for the input.
The door DOES unlock after it cools down, so I guess the lock is
working but the latch sensor is bad. Because of the error code
displaying I assume I am hearing an alarm and not just a loose
vibration.

I will check w/ a nearby appliance repair shop, but I cant afford to
spend a lot of $, so I hope I can replace the latch thing myself. I've
never worked on an appliance like this, so I also hope someone can
point me to some illustrated instructions.