Posted to sci.electronics.repair
69strat

Default TV dead?

My TV is about 13 months old. It's worked great. Great clear picture.
I just turned it off a few hours ago and now it won't power on. ????
No warning signs or anything weird. It's just dead. I unplugged it,
waited and tried again. The other things in the power strip work.
This TV just decided to stop immediately.

It's barely a year old. My wife just wants to buy another new one.
But I'm hoping this is an easy, cheap fix. Any ideas on what I could
check?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
69strat

Sorry it's a Phillip 27" (27pttp6442) flat panel 4:3 style which is
dated June '04.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Set Square

69strat wrote:

My TV is about 13 months old. It's worked great. Great clear
picture. I just turned it off a few hours ago and now it won't power
on. ???? No warning signs or anything weird. It's just dead. I
unplugged it, waited and tried again. The other things in the power
strip work. This TV just decided to stop immediately.

It's barely a year old. My wife just wants to buy another new one.
But I'm hoping this is an easy, cheap fix. Any ideas on what I could
check?

The fuse?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Set Square wrote:
69strat wrote:

My TV is about 13 months old. It's worked great. Great clear
picture. I just turned it off a few hours ago and now it won't power
on. ???? No warning signs or anything weird. It's just dead. I
unplugged it, waited and tried again. The other things in the power
strip work. This TV just decided to stop immediately.

It's barely a year old. My wife just wants to buy another new one.
But I'm hoping this is an easy, cheap fix. Any ideas on what I could
check?

The fuse?

No, it's certainly NOT the fuse, if the fuse is blown there is something
else wrong.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

69strat wrote:
Sorry it's a Phillip 27" (27pttp6442) flat panel 4:3 style which is
dated June '04.

You could check for cracked solder joints in the power supply section,
also measure and see if you have standby voltage.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Set Square

James Sweet wrote:

Set Square wrote:
69strat wrote:

Any ideas on what I could check?

The fuse?

No, it's certainly NOT the fuse, if the fuse is blown there is
something else wrong.

A fuse blowing is *usually* indicative of another fault. But it's by no
means impossible for a fuse itself to fail without there being anything else
wrong.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

A fuse blowing is *usually* indicative of another fault. But it's by no
means impossible for a fuse itself to fail without there being anything else
wrong.

I've seen it happen, but it's exceedingly rare compared to the number of
people who assume it's "just the fuse" and replace it, often with a
bigger and bigger one until something else smokes.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

"69strat" bravely wrote to "All" (21 Dec 05 10:17:21)
--- on the heady topic of " TV dead?"

69 From: "69strat"
69 Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:352096

69 Sorry it's a Phillip 27" (27pttp6442) flat panel 4:3 style which is
69 dated June '04.

Start by checking the power cord, then the fuse, then the supply, etc.
Eventually move onto more complicated things like the startup
circuitry, relay, degauss, etc. Finally, it should become clear
where the problem lies.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Email returned to sender -- insufficient voltage.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken G.

To be honest Filips is one of the worst sets . Take your wifes advice
this time but dont buy the same thing again

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art

Seen a lot of these with fuse blown because of the DGS thermistor. It seems
that the inrush current at power on tends to weaken the thermistor, actually
causing a change it's cold temp resistance, which then promotes excessive
current during the Degauss Cycle. There is a mod for the tele if that is
the actual problem you are experiencing. Best to do some in-depth
troubleshooting to determine if that is actually the problem. Panasonic and
Sony sets also incur similar symptoms.