Posted to sci.electronics.repair
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Default This used to be such a nice news group

What ever happened to the thread about the 50Hz washer/dryer timer
motor. Is it fixed, is the mystery solved? I hope I didn't filter the
thread out while blocking all the Kook posts?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You are correct.... "this used to be such a nice news group. A lot of
the knowledgeable and helpful regulars have been increasingly absent
over the past couple of years. Frankly, it just ain't as much fun and
not as rewarding to "try" to contribute helpful suggestions when there
are a bunch of cynical smart mouths out there ready to throw flames....
and there also are the "nay sayers" that think that all repair people
are crooks that rip off innocent customers.... if that is the case
then why in the world would they come to a newsgroup populated with
knowledgeable crooked repair people to ask for advice??
electricitym
- -

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:
What ever happened to the thread about the 50Hz washer/dryer timer
motor. Is it fixed, is the mystery solved? I hope I didn't filter the
thread out while blocking all the Kook posts?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

wrote in message
ups.com...
You are correct.... "this used to be such a nice news group. A lot of
the knowledgeable and helpful regulars have been increasingly absent
over the past couple of years. Frankly, it just ain't as much fun and
not as rewarding to "try" to contribute helpful suggestions when there
are a bunch of cynical smart mouths out there ready to throw flames....
and there also are the "nay sayers" that think that all repair people
are crooks that rip off innocent customers.... if that is the case
then why in the world would they come to a newsgroup populated with
knowledgeable crooked repair people to ask for advice??
electricitym

I thought it was just that I was becoming increasingly obsolete!

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** writes:

What ever happened to the thread about the 50Hz washer/dryer timer
motor. Is it fixed, is the mystery solved? I hope I didn't filter the
thread out while blocking all the Kook posts?

No, the mystery remains and probably will remain unless someone who
knows the design in detail can provide more info.

For reference:

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/tmp/pwrcard.jpg (photo of PCB)
http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/tmp/sch_eng.pdf (wiring diagram)

I currently have the timer mechanism and electronics PCB in my possession.

Power to the timer motor is indeed switched by a triac, whose gate goes via a
buffer transistor to a pin on the microcontroller.

The power for the electronics seems to be derived from a rectifier, high
power dropping resistors (it runs on 230 VAC after all), and zener diodes,
with no power transformer or line isolation.

The relay in the lower left corner of the photo has something to do with
either switching power to the main motor or its direction.

The next test might be to run the electronics and timer on 50 Hz and see
if it behaves any differently but I can't do that without the rest of the
machine and I'm not sure that's really a viable option for the owner.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** writes:

[...]

Have you tried applying power to the board with the timer motor
connected to see if the timer runs? In browsing through the schematic it
seems you might be able to fool the board enough into thinking the rest
of the washer is there with just a few switches and jumper wires. Make
it think the door is locked, water in the basket and the cycle started
and it might do enough to at least run the timer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Another thought, maybe the CPU has a watchdog timer clocking from the
50Hz main supply, expecting some event after a certain interval, the CPU
is being forced to reset and not running the full program?

James Sweet wrote:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** writes:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Parker

Same with me....

Bob

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 13:23:25 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
You are correct.... "this used to be such a nice news group. A lot of
the knowledgeable and helpful regulars have been increasingly absent
over the past couple of years. Frankly, it just ain't as much fun and
not as rewarding to "try" to contribute helpful suggestions when there
are a bunch of cynical smart mouths out there ready to throw flames....
and there also are the "nay sayers" that think that all repair people
are crooks that rip off innocent customers.... if that is the case
then why in the world would they come to a newsgroup populated with
knowledgeable crooked repair people to ask for advice??
electricitym

I thought it was just that I was becoming increasingly obsolete!

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:20:39 GMT, **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Another thought, maybe the CPU has a watchdog timer clocking from the
50Hz main supply, expecting some event after a certain interval, the CPU
is being forced to reset and not running the full program?

IME watchdog timers usually have a very short duration, of the order
of milliseconds (???). AFAIK their primary function is to reset the
CPU in the event of a firmware crash, thereby protecting the appliance
from damage, or the user from injury.

- Franc Zabkar