Posted to sci.electronics.repair
geronimo

Default Need speaker relay for Pioneer amp

It is a Pioneer SX-2300, quite old now. I have to bang on the cabinet
to get it to work, It is the speaker relay that is failing. It is
black and about 1 in. square. Cant' imagine how I would find any parts
for this stereo. Is the speaker relay really necessary? Could I bypass
it, or would this risk damage to my speakers?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS

In article , geronimo wrote:
It is a Pioneer SX-2300, quite old now. I have to bang on the cabinet
to get it to work, It is the speaker relay that is failing. It is
black and about 1 in. square. Cant' imagine how I would find any parts
for this stereo. Is the speaker relay really necessary? Could I bypass
it, or would this risk damage to my speakers?

There are many amps that do not have protection relays. Its a safety but
also a dethumper. How much do your seakers cost? You could wire in a size that doesn't
fit Just find out the proper opperating voltage.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

geronimo wrote in message
It is a Pioneer SX-2300, quite old now. I have to bang on the cabinet
to get it to work, It is the speaker relay that is failing. It is
black and about 1 in. square. Cant' imagine how I would find any parts
for this stereo. Is the speaker relay really necessary? Could I bypass
it, or would this risk damage to my speakers?

You don't describe the nature of the failure, but I've salvaged plenty of
"locked up" relays by burnishing the contacts clean. Of course, if the cap
cannot be removed w/o severe damage to the relay case, this isn't an
attractive option. Also, if the contacts were originally plated with a
secondary alloy which has been zapped away, burnishing won't be a lasting
fix.
Minor damage from the tools you use to open it can be repaired -- glue the
cap down if the locking tabs are ruined; use 100% silicon rubber caulk to
seal small cracks/gaps if you create those.

If your relay is refusing to stay closed or is buzzing, this doesn't
necessarily mean the relay is faulty. Since banging on the cabinet makes it
work, check for bad solder joints on the relay and associated components.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS

In article eWDlf.21013$Oq3.6063@trnddc05, "Ray L. Volts" wrote:

geronimo wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yes, I would start tapping at various points.
I have just opened the cover of many, or if I can't do that, I cut or drill a hole
so I can get inside.the relay to clean up.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

geronimo wrote in message
It is a Pioneer SX-2300, quite old now. I have to bang on the cabinet
to get it to work, It is the speaker relay that is failing. It is
black and about 1 in. square. Cant' imagine how I would find any parts
for this stereo. Is the speaker relay really necessary? Could I bypass
it, or would this risk damage to my speakers?

DO NOT bypass the relay. It forms part of the output protection circuit, and
prevents speaker-destroying DC appearing at the speaker terminals, in the
event of an output stage failure.

It is common for such relays to produce intermittent results on one or both
channels. Usually, the problem can be instigated by a gentle tap on the
relay case, with a ballpen. Remove the relay, get its case off by whatever
method you can- cut it off with a hacksaw if necessary - then clean the
relay contacts by drawing paper through them, then adding switch cleaner /
lubricant to finish off.

If you had to cut the case off, fix it back either by glueing, or wrapping
round with electrical tape.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
geronimo wrote:
It is a Pioneer SX-2300, quite old now. I have to bang on the cabinet
to get it to work, It is the speaker relay that is failing. It is
black and about 1 in. square. Cant' imagine how I would find any parts
for this stereo.

It's very likely a 'stock' item. Look up an electronics supplier.

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT

geronimo wrote:

It is a Pioneer SX-2300, quite old now. I have to bang on the cabinet
to get it to work, It is the speaker relay that is failing. It is
black and about 1 in. square. Cant' imagine how I would find any parts
for this stereo. Is the speaker relay really necessary? Could I bypass
it, or would this risk damage to my speakers?

I'd start by burnishing the contacts and see whether that helps --
unless the coil is going.