Posted to sci.electronics.repair
computer

Default does any one show me the technique to diagnois a breakdown motherboard with a ocilliscope?

does any one show me the technique to diagnose a breakdown motherboard with
a ocilliscope?

is there a URL for diagnose a motherboard?

TIA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT

computer wrote:

does any one show me the technique to diagnose a breakdown motherboard with
a ocilliscope?

is there a URL for diagnose a motherboard?

TIA

I seriously doubt that using an oscilloscope is a viable way to diagnose
a motherboard. There are too many signals, and they're at too high a
frequency. You need at least a logic analyzer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
petrus bitbyter

"CJT" schreef in bericht
computer wrote:

does any one show me the technique to diagnose a breakdown motherboard
with
a ocilliscope?

is there a URL for diagnose a motherboard?

TIA

I seriously doubt that using an oscilloscope is a viable way to diagnose
a motherboard. There are too many signals, and they're at too high a
frequency. You need at least a logic analyzer.

There has been times I knew man that repaired motherboards this way although
they had it combined with special test software. Some of them were very
good, wrote that software themselves. But the economical repairtime
decreased rapidly and the men had to swap boards. Most of them disappeared
in short time. But the light still seems to be on as the last man forgot to
switch it off.

Meanwhile motherbords became less crowded but the remaining chips have tens
to hundreds of very small pins. A man that can replace such a chip, assuming
you can get it, is more expensive in time then the whole boards value.
Personnally I diagnosed boards down to the failing function only to find out
that the required parts were custom made and nowhere for sale. Some were
simple. A failing printer port for instance. This traces ended up in a big
flat chip end I could see the signal failure on the o'scope. The port was
unrepairable, but the damage could be circumvented by inserting a
(printerport) card in an empty slot. A defective DMA-controller cannot be
circumvented this way and the board was total loss.

So far my little history lecture. But the message will be clear: Even if you
can diagnose a board to chip level, it's unlikely you can repair it let
alone you can do so economically.

petrus bitbyter

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
computer

the master motherboard repair gether quite a number of motherboard for parts
replacement.

he uses 20 mhz ocilliscope. I pay him to repair my client's motherboard.