Posted to sci.electronics.repair
cheezer

Default Problem with motherboard

I have a motherboard that I believe has a short on the PS/2 ports. The
computer sometimes boots normally but most of the time I get an error
saying that there is a keyboard error or no keyboard present. Should I
replace the motherboard or is there a way to fix it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sky

Some board bios allows you to press F 1, or
another key to get past it. May be an open fuse
right by the PS/2 plugins. You can get a USB to
dual PS/2 adaptor. Sky.

"cheezer" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a motherboard that I believe has a short on the PS/2 ports. The
computer sometimes boots normally but most of the time I get an error
saying that there is a keyboard error or no keyboard present. Should I
replace the motherboard or is there a way to fix it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sunny

cheezer wrote:

I have a motherboard that I believe has a short on the PS/2 ports. The
computer sometimes boots normally but most of the time I get an error
saying that there is a keyboard error or no keyboard present. Should I
replace the motherboard or is there a way to fix it?

The usual cause is an SMT capacitor failure which shorts one of the PS/2
signal lines to ground. Intermittent is harder to track down than
permanent failure, but usually probing the signal lines with a scope
while pressing keys will reveal which signal is the problem. Removing
the corresponding capacitor to ground usually clears the fault, but the
cap should be replaced as it protects the super i/o chip from spikes on
the PS/2 signals.

Sunny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
cheezer

Thanks for the Info that you have posted I will try to look into that.
One more thing the lights on the keyboard stay on even after the
computer shuts off does that indicate that there is a short or a
capacitor problem?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leo Tick

cheezer wrote:
I have a motherboard that I believe has a short on the PS/2 ports. The
computer sometimes boots normally but most of the time I get an error
saying that there is a keyboard error or no keyboard present. Should I
replace the motherboard or is there a way to fix it?

This happens to me faily often- For me it's the connector. A wiggle and
it goes away.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
cheezer

That sometimes happens to me when it boots properly all I do is to
wiggle the connector and try a couple of times.