Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike

Default CTC132 bad video

I ran into a freebee, been looking al over the net, some suggestions say
that I should have left it, since I heard that the chopper supply fails,
flyback fails, and most common HV block failures.

Well, its tagged from repairs a few years ago, so its probably been
overhauled, but you never know.

The set works fine. produces a fine picture.

But the picture looks like your watching a bad channel on antenna, lots of
ghosting and noise.

I thought it was a bad tuner, until I tried to use the RCA jacks, auxillary
inputs do the exact same thing. The color is fine, picture is a little
blurry (dirt and age probably). but it is VERY noisey.

any ideas why? is it bad solder or caps in the video amp? I dont have a
schematic or service data, so im working in the blind folded here. Thanks..

----
Mike.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Lots of bad capacitors in that one, especially in the SMPS.
I also seem to remember the glass pack delay line going bad and not
being available.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike

Seriously doubt the delay line is bad, since I get a perfect picture. Just
lots of white noise like patterns in it.

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del

There are two traps in that model. I don't remember the numbers, but
they have green shrouds on top. You can try tweaking them with a
square drive tuning wand.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On 1 Dec 2005 04:58:11 -0800, "John-Del" wrote:

There are two traps in that model. I don't remember the numbers, but
they have green shrouds on top. You can try tweaking them with a
square drive tuning wand.

I remember working on a 27" that could have been a 132 with a noisy
picture. I adjusted something in the comb filter that greatly
improved the picture. It was still a little noisy, but much better
than before.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike

I dont have any schematics or data for this model, so I have no idea where
the comb and SAW filters would be.

Its noisey and ghosting a little bit just like a bad antenna channel, but
its evident in all inputs and tuner.

If I change the input from the tuner to auxilary, the picture is slow to
appear.

"Andy Cuffe" wrote in message
On 1 Dec 2005 04:58:11 -0800, "John-Del" wrote:

There are two traps in that model. I don't remember the numbers, but
they have green shrouds on top. You can try tweaking them with a
square drive tuning wand.

I remember working on a 27" that could have been a 132 with a noisy
picture. I adjusted something in the comb filter that greatly
improved the picture. It was still a little noisy, but much better
than before.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike

I also forgot to mention, the color fluctuates a little bit with the noise.
but the picture is rock solid, no bad sync, or luminance.

. ..

"Andy Cuffe" wrote in message
On 1 Dec 2005 04:58:11 -0800, "John-Del" wrote:

There are two traps in that model. I don't remember the numbers, but
they have green shrouds on top. You can try tweaking them with a
square drive tuning wand.

I remember working on a 27" that could have been a 132 with a noisy
picture. I adjusted something in the comb filter that greatly
improved the picture. It was still a little noisy, but much better
than before.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Start with all the capacitors in the power supply board.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike

I took it all the way apart, all the power supply caps, and Q402 look like
they have been changed.

All the secondary power supply caps hardly have any dust on them, compared
to the rest of the board, and underneith the board, you can see where a tech
has resoldered a ****load of stuff on the secondaries of the power supply.

it probably came in as a dead set in the past.

So, the power supply looks to have been taken care of.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Start with all the capacitors in the power supply board.