Posted to sci.electronics.repair
deauville rider

Default kitchen mixer/universal transformer repair

Any help please.
My wife's hand held food mixer failed after a few minutes use from
brand new,(no receipt kept,I keep telling her to keep them).
Everything tests ok except for a white 5mm X 6mm oblong resistor ?( I
think) which is hidden underneath the yellow wrapping of the universal
?(I think) transformer coils.
This component is in series with the coil to one of the brushes and has
the markings M3.3
also Tf 130oC (can't type degrees) also 0.3E
I get no ohm reading across it with my meter. Can anyone identify this
component and suggest a place in UK to obtain one.
The manual says not to use the mixer for more than 5 mins at a time

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Funfly3

sound like its a 130 degree thermal fuse
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSear... tk=gensearch
is the same sort of thing but I don't know if its compatible though

"deauville rider" wrote in message
ups.com...
Any help please.
My wife's hand held food mixer failed after a few minutes use from
brand new,(no receipt kept,I keep telling her to keep them).
Everything tests ok except for a white 5mm X 6mm oblong resistor ?( I
think) which is hidden underneath the yellow wrapping of the universal
?(I think) transformer coils.
This component is in series with the coil to one of the brushes and has
the markings M3.3
also Tf 130oC (can't type degrees) also 0.3E
I get no ohm reading across it with my meter. Can anyone identify this
component and suggest a place in UK to obtain one.
The manual says not to use the mixer for more than 5 mins at a time

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
deauville rider wrote:
This component is in series with the coil to one of the brushes and has
the markings M3.3
also Tf 130oC (can't type degrees) also 0.3E
I get no ohm reading across it with my meter. Can anyone identify this
component and suggest a place in UK to obtain one.

Thermal fuse, I'd say. Most of the electronics places - RS, CPC, Rapid
etc.

But Maplin may be your best bet as they don't have a minimum charge at
a shop. A 128C one is RA15 and costs 49p. Note the installation
instructions - they can't be soldered.

The manual says not to use the mixer for more than 5 mins at a time

And you reckon she has?

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
deauville rider

thanks to you both. Didn't think of a fuse (wouldn't be simple to
change though) any idea what the M3.3 would be.
wife says only 2 or 3 minutes but hey ,who knows

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
deauville rider

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
deauville rider wrote:
This component is in series with the coil to one of the brushes and has
the markings M3.3
also Tf 130oC (can't type degrees) also 0.3E
I get no ohm reading across it with my meter. Can anyone identify this
component and suggest a place in UK to obtain one.

Thermal fuse, I'd say. Most of the electronics places - RS, CPC, Rapid
etc.

But Maplin may be your best bet as they don't have a minimum charge at
a shop. A 128C one is RA15 and costs 49p. Note the installation
instructions - they can't be soldered.

What is the usual alternative to soldering this fuse
The manual says not to use the mixer for more than 5 mins at a time

And you reckon she has?

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

For a quick check, just bypass the thermal fuse and make sure the mixer
does work before spending too much time looking for a replacement. If
you want to take a small chance, just permanently bypass the fuse, make
sure your wife understands that she can overheat the mixer if she uses
it more than 5 minutes at a time.

The thermal fuse blowing is probably infant mortality, just like many
things that either fail when very new or else last a long time. If you
make a graph, and you plot failures on the vertical scale, and time on
the horizontal scale, you are a victim of the early failures. The
overall curve is frequently called a bathtub curve because the shape of
the curve is like the profile of a bathtub, high at each end and low
and wide in the middle. Probably more than you wanted to know :-)

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann (in the USA)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

Crimp or spot weld.

What is the usual alternative to soldering this fuse

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark

if you are fast, you can use long nose pliers as a heat sink and
quickly tack solder them in place....

if you are going to solder it....
buy a couple of these when you go to the parts store..

you'll probably need to practice...

Mark

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
deauville rider

Thanks for all your help/suggestions.Bought the Maplin one and used
crimps, works fine now.
thanks again