Junior Member

Location: Nova Scotia
Default Moffat Dryer not getting any heat

Hi, we have a Moffat Extra large capacity 5 cycle dryer, model WEIIM23 7278 serial RBXR353E75WW Unit #6. Two days ago while drying cloths, the heat stopped. We have a breaker box, no fuses. I have shut off the breaker for the dryer and then turned it back on but still no heat.

At this point, I'm wondering if there is anything else that I can do? It was suggested that I take the back off and check the wires to see if any of them burnt off or are stripped. I believe other than that I'm going to have to have to replace the heating element. Can anyone confirm this? I'm really homing to be able to fix this myself for a reasonably low price. I'm open to any suggestions at this point.

Thanks,
Robert Tighe
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel

tiggy wrote:
Hi, we have a Moffat Extra large capacity 5 cycle dryer, model WEIIM23
7278 serial RBXR353E75WW Unit #6. Two days ago while drying cloths,
the heat stopped. We have a breaker box, no fuses. I have shut off
the breaker for the dryer and then turned it back on but still no
heat.

At this point, I'm wondering if there is anything else that I can do?
It was suggested that I take the back off and check the wires to see if
any of them burnt off or are stripped. I believe other than that I'm
going to have to have to replace the heating element. Can anyone
confirm this? I'm really homing to be able to fix this myself for a
reasonably low price. I'm open to any suggestions at this point.

Thanks,
Robert Tighe

Hi Robert...

Unplug it, double check that it's unplugged, and go ahead and take
the back off. First, though, make sure it's unplugged! (if you suspect
I'm repeating myself, that's cause I am

Far and away the most common failure is going to be a burned off push on
connector. If so, you'll easily see it. And if so, replace it
properly, buy a package of the correct wire size crimp ons from a
building supply store, clean up the wire so's it's bright and shiny,
and crimp it nicely with the correct tool.

While you're in there, you might as well replace any others that look
like they're ready to fail... save yourself some future headaches.

If that's not it, then there are two "thermostats" that are suspect.
One will be the regular "maintain the temperature" thermostat and it's
possible that it may have failed. If you have an ohmmeter handy you
can easily check it for continuity. The other is a fail safe
thermal fuse, intended to pop once in case of extreme overheating.
Check it also for continuity.

Failing all of that, it's possible that the element may be open.

Take care - unplug it - 240 volts ain't to be messed with.

Ken

An air-soil solar sub-basement heat battery [email protected] Home Repair 10 March 14th 05 11:50 PM
DIY Heat Bank/Thermal Store system? (longish) Gordon Henderson UK diy 4 January 26th 05 07:32 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Has anyone Tried to Recycle heat from Dryer vent? lbbs Home Ownership 58 January 29th 04 08:15 PM
Maytag dryer won't heat with new element... Buck Wheat Home Repair 3 November 7th 03 03:29 AM