Mike & Danielle

Default Help : IBM 17" LCD 6657-HG2

I have this 17" IBM LCD monitor with these symptoms;
The power switch works fine, when depressed, it goes into Yellow, I can
press it again and turns off.

I do not get any display at all, with the cable disconnected from the video
card, I should get the " Check cable" screen appearing.

I would think that if it were only the "Backlight" or the inverter module, I
could shine a flashlight through the screen and I would be able to see my
display but it does not work.

I suspect that somewhere, there is self test portion shutting down so it
never gets to display anything on the screen.

Has anyone troubleshut one of these units before?

What is a proper troubleshooting procedure?
Are all LCD screen, basically working the same way or some of them have got
protection circuitry making it harder to actually troubleshoot?

I have checked all electrolytic capacitors, some 100uf 16Vdc and one 10uf
10Vdc is reading a bit resistive but not totally out of wack, reading 12
versus 8 on my Dick Smith ESR meter.

I do not see any voltage coming out of the inverter, I could have jumped to
the conclusion that it is the defective module but then there could be a
circuitry shutting it down if something else has not come up on time or
something like that.
I wish I had another unit exactly the same to troubleshoot to the board
level.

Any idea?

Any help appreciated

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike & Danielle

I figured it out, the 10uf 16Vdc electrolytic capacaitors SMD qty 8 were
bad. I suggest to check them all and replace them.
Some of them were hard to replace, I had to remove the metal case around the
connectors because they were behind them.