Barry

Default General repair question

Just a general question. Thanks for any input.

I have a Kustom KHS 4640 whole house audio syatem that no longer works. I
believe the problem is the 12V circuit going to the keypads as it is only
measuring about 6.8 volts and I get no light on the keypads. I do not have
a schematic and the company is out of business. My question is simple. Do
you think an electronics repair shop could fix this odd item or should I
just junk it and replace the system. If possible I would like to repair as
it would be quite expensive to replace the amp and all 6 keypads.

Thanks

Barry

Sam Goldwasser

"Barry" writes:

Just a general question. Thanks for any input.

I have a Kustom KHS 4640 whole house audio syatem that no longer works. I
believe the problem is the 12V circuit going to the keypads as it is only
measuring about 6.8 volts and I get no light on the keypads. I do not have
a schematic and the company is out of business. My question is simple. Do
you think an electronics repair shop could fix this odd item or should I
just junk it and replace the system. If possible I would like to repair as
it would be quite expensive to replace the amp and all 6 keypads.

I'd guess that if you found the power problem, then it would spring back
to life.

Either there is something wrong with the power supply or something is

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jumpster Jiver

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"Barry" writes:

Just a general question. Thanks for any input.

I have a Kustom KHS 4640 whole house audio syatem that no longer works. I
believe the problem is the 12V circuit going to the keypads as it is only
measuring about 6.8 volts and I get no light on the keypads. I do not have
a schematic and the company is out of business. My question is simple. Do
you think an electronics repair shop could fix this odd item or should I
just junk it and replace the system. If possible I would like to repair as
it would be quite expensive to replace the amp and all 6 keypads.

I'd guess that if you found the power problem, then it would spring back
to life.

Either there is something wrong with the power supply or something is

So...
Track down where the 12V is coming from and see if it's putting out 12V.
If not, try disconnecting the keypads one at a time to see if it's
causing the voltage drop. If one specific keypad disconnected makes the
rest of the system work, that one's bad. Otherwise the 12V power supply
might be bad. Replace it.
Good Luck.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
3T39

Hello, Barry!
You wrote on Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:31:20 -0500:

B I have a Kustom KHS 4640 whole house audio syatem that no longer works.
B I believe the problem is the 12V circuit going to the keypads as it is
B only measuring about 6.8 volts and I get no light on the keypads. I do
B not have a schematic and the company is out of business. My question is
B simple. Do you think an electronics repair shop could fix this odd item
B or should I just junk it and replace the system. If possible I would
B like to repair as it would be quite expensive to replace the amp and all
B 6 keypads.

B Thanks

A decent repair shop could definitely fix it, but only you can decide if the
cost is worth it. Further to previous responses, a low reading on the 12V
supply line could also be caused by a faulty diode in the bridge rectifier
block or a dry reserviour capacitor. (or both, or even something else)

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: