Default Sluggish Tape Deck

I have a Pioneer CT-F8282 tape deck that acts really sluggish.

It seems to struggle to rewind tapes, fast forward, and will play for a
bit before the auto-stop mechanism kicks in, thinking that the tape has
ended.

I replaced the belts (a formidible task that involved taking half the
machine apart) but that didn't solve the problem.

Any suggestions as to what my next step should be?

Regards,

Tim

Arfa Daily

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Pioneer CT-F8282 tape deck that acts really sluggish.

It seems to struggle to rewind tapes, fast forward, and will play for a
bit before the auto-stop mechanism kicks in, thinking that the tape has
ended.

I replaced the belts (a formidible task that involved taking half the
machine apart) but that didn't solve the problem.

Any suggestions as to what my next step should be?

Regards,

Tim

Service the takeup clutch, and the idler which drives it. This is probably
of the swinging arm type, which rolls to the right to drive takeup and FF,
and to the left to drive REW. Poor grip from this item will cause sluggish
fast ops, and poor takeup torque which will cause the takeup reel table to
keep stopping, tripping the autostop system.

Often, with the deck removed, a thin metal coverplate can be removed from
the front of the mech ( two small screws and hooked in at the bottom, or two
clips and hooked in at the bottom ). In 8 cases out of 10, this will give
access to the drive components without further dismantling.

Replace idler if poss. Failing this, spend time gently removing all glaze
from the idler surface using VERY fine aluminium oxide ( wet 'n' dry )
paper. Then clean thoroughly using isopropyl alcohol.

The takeup clutch should again be replaced if poss. If not, carefully and
gently scrape the pressure surfaces of the felt pad, using a blunt
curve-blade scalpel, until new clean felt is exposed. Stretch the pressure
spring 20% to compensate for fallen tension. Reassemble.

Arfa

spudnuty

I wonder if using something like Goof Off will rejuvenate the idler?
Many sites recommend it for printer rollers. Especially when you can'f
get new parts. I've used it for that with excellent results. It will
damage plastic.
Richard

Arfa Daily

"spudnuty" wrote in message
oups.com...
I wonder if using something like Goof Off will rejuvenate the idler?
Many sites recommend it for printer rollers. Especially when you can'f
get new parts. I've used it for that with excellent results. It will
damage plastic.
Richard

I used to use some similar stuff called " Platten Clean ", and it was very
good. Had a sort of combination amonia / paraffin smell to it. It left
behind an oily residue initially, and you used to think Christ ! that's
totally *&&%!! the thing, but after a short time, this dried off, and left a
nice rejuvenated surface behind it. The bottle I had lasted for years, but
when it finally ran out, I was unable to find it again. Perhaps I should
look again now. Years ago, I also used to have some stuff called " Gripex "
which was like a sort of paint-on liquid rubber. Came in a little bottle
with a brush built into the lid. That stuff would put a new hard wearing
surface on just about any rubber drive component, but I haven't seen any for
years ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
none

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 08:08:01 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sounds alot like the idler system used in some of the later Nakamichi
decks.
I have an RX202 with that rubber idler tire that can be a pain.
I clean mine with denatured alchohol and recondition it with a drop or
two of pure silicone oil to rejuvinate the rubber tires.