simon hanlon

Default BU406D equivalent??

Would an NTE256 do the job?

James Sweet

Ross Herbert wrote:
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:25:33 -0000, "simon hanlon"
wrote:

Would an NTE256 do the job?

Why don't you figure it out?

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/BU/BU406.pdf
http://www.nteinc.com/specs/200to299/pdf/nte256.pdf

Note that the NTE device would be about 3-4 times the price of the BU
device let alone any other consideration.

Where can you find a BU406D though? I had a heck of a time finding one
several years ago, IIRC nobody makes the D anymore, though you can get
the BU406 and add an external damper diode.
simon hanlon

Its not readily available in the UK, If it is then I haven't found any yet.
Looking at Datasheets the BU2508D looks like it will be ok
"Ross Herbert" wrote in message

wrote:

Would an NTE256 do the job?

Why don't you figure it out?

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/BU/BU406.pdf
http://www.nteinc.com/specs/200to299/pdf/nte256.pdf

Note that the NTE device would be about 3-4 times the price of the BU
device let alone any other consideration.

Where can you find a BU406D though? I had a heck of a time finding one
several years ago, IIRC nobody makes the D anymore, though you can get
the BU406 and add an external damper diode.

Well, the 406D is still readily available in Australia so it should be
elsewhere in the world. When I have time I will let you know where
else.

Lee

simon hanlon wrote:
Its not readily available in the UK, If it is then I haven't found any yet.

BU406D UKP 0.85 +Vat from http://www.grandata.co.uk/ though just becuase
they list it may not mean they actually have any...

Lee

--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

simon hanlon

Yes as Lee pointed out earlier Grandata stock them and have now been
ordered. Thanks to all for the response
"Ross Herbert" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:48:41 -0000, "simon hanlon"
wrote:

I have looked at the datasheets and wanted a 2nd opinion not a smart
remark!!

I wasn't just making a smart remark. It seems that you want someone
else to do all the work for you. The data on both types would have
immediately told you the NTE device was not the best choice.

It is a logical step that when considering a substitution of
components you first of all find the data on what you have and then
what you want to replace it with. If you had studied the data sheets
you would see that the package types are vastly different for a start.
Next thing is that the NTE is a darlington type with bias resistor and
it is rated at 28A whereas the BU406D is only 7A.

The NTE package type will make it hard to fit in the existing holes
plus the fact that it will cost over $20 as against maybe $1 or so for
the BU or other equivalent device.

If you had done some searching in the UK using Google you would have
found several possible sources for the BU406, 407 or 408D.

eg. http://www.dialelec.com/302.html

There are other possible sources I will include in another post.