JM

Default Please help with: JVC HR-VP638U

My son pushed a tape too quickly into this VCR. Instead of dropping and
seating into the carriage as normally, the tape appeared to ramp upward and
too far inside. The VCR started spinning, and I had a heck of time working
the tape out. I did not feel or hear anything break. However, when the
tape was out, the VCR kept doing a cycle of spinning one direction quickly
for about 3 seconds, then stops and reverses directions, over and over. It
sounds like it's going to great effort, because the speed starts to diminish
after 3-4 cycles, like the transports are tiring or working against
something. It will not respond to any of the front panel buttons.
Unplugging it is the only way to stop it. As soon as it's plugged back in
it starts the cyle over. Now it will not accept a tape unless I unplug it,
remove the cover and gently work the tape in and then push it down into
carriage. At that point it will play, rewind, ff, etc, as normal, until I
hit eject. Then the whole thing starts over.

Is there something I can do other than junk it and buy another?

thank you for any assistance.

jm

Jumpster Jiver

JM wrote:

[...]

Unless you know what to look for, not much you can do. VCRs in this
situation either have broken gears or levers, or maybe a gear just
jumped a few teeth. many times a gear or lever will have markings to
show where they align to each other, but again you need to know what to
look for.
If you disassemble the mechanism without the help of someone with at
least a little experience, you may never get it back together correctly.
Many times when you remove a gear or lever, the adjoining part will
rotate or move under some sort of spring tension.

This is not meant to discourage you, but if you can find the help of
someone with a little VCR repair experience, it can possibly be repaired
at home.
That sounds like a high-end model, so it may be worth having it
professionally repaired. Even if a new VCR is only $40, if it's a good
model from several years ago it may be worth professional repair. Even
if it costs more than a new model with the same features.
Good luck.

Asimov

"JM" bravely wrote to "All" (13 Nov 05 18:53:36)
--- on the heady topic of "Please help with: JVC HR-VP638U"

JM From: "JM"
JM Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:348450

JM My son pushed a tape too quickly into this VCR. Instead of dropping
JM and seating into the carriage as normally, the tape appeared to ramp
JM upward and too far inside. The VCR started spinning, and I had a heck
JM of time working the tape out. I did not feel or hear anything break.
JM However, when the tape was out, the VCR kept doing a cycle of spinning
JM one direction quickly for about 3 seconds, then stops and reverses
JM directions, over and over. It sounds like it's going to great effort,
JM because the speed starts to diminish after 3-4 cycles, like the
JM transports are tiring or working against something. It will not
JM respond to any of the front panel buttons. Unplugging it is the only
JM way to stop it. As soon as it's plugged back in it starts the cyle
JM over. Now it will not accept a tape unless I unplug it, remove the
JM cover and gently work the tape in and then push it down into carriage.
JM At that point it will play, rewind, ff, etc, as normal, until I hit
JM eject. Then the whole thing starts over.
JM Is there something I can do other than junk it and buy another?

JM thank you for any assistance.

jm,

If you aren't all thumbs and know how to keep track of a few screws
then there is hope of not needing to scrap the thing. It requires
removing the cover and front bezel, usually a couple of screws and a
few snap locks. What has to be done inside is to retime the loading
basket. This involves removing the loading basket assembly and
resetting the main cam to a known sequence in the cycle, then
reinstalling the basket. etc...

The easiest cycle to find manually is the stopped/off position. At
this point the load arms have retracted the tape and just stopped
moving forward. This is the point for example when a tape is loaded
and then the vcr is turned off for a timer initiated recording.

After the basket is removed the load motor can be spun manually with
your fingertips or other small tool. The load motor engages the main
cam and the basket mechanism. With the basket removed, turn the load
motor shaft until the tape loading fingers are closest to the front of
the vcr. Then spin the motor the other way so that they retract
backwards and then just stop. This is the position you want.

Set the tape basket drawer so that it is forward and down (i.e. tape
is loaded). There are often 1 or 2 little interlocks. Now re-install
the basket back in that condition. When power is applied to the vcr it
should briefly exercise the load arms and then automatically reset
itself to the proper unloaded basket position.

This procedure should work except if there is damage to a gear or bent
arms or guides.

Reinstall the bezel making sure the door opening lever is in its
proper location. Close the cover and that should be it. Good luck!

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... If all else fails, hurl it across the room a few times!