Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
JM

Default Please help with: JVC HR-VP638U

My son pushed a tape too quickly into this VCR. Instead of dropping and
seating into the carriage as normally, the tape appeared to ramp upward and
too far inside. The VCR started spinning, and I had a heck of time working
the tape out. I did not feel or hear anything break. However, when the
tape was out, the VCR kept doing a cycle of spinning one direction quickly
for about 3 seconds, then stops and reverses directions, over and over. It
sounds like it's going to great effort, because the speed starts to diminish
after 3-4 cycles, like the transports are tiring or working against
something. It will not respond to any of the front panel buttons.
Unplugging it is the only way to stop it. As soon as it's plugged back in
it starts the cyle over. Now it will not accept a tape unless I unplug it,
remove the cover and gently work the tape in and then push it down into
carriage. At that point it will play, rewind, ff, etc, as normal, until I
hit eject. Then the whole thing starts over.

Is there something I can do other than junk it and buy another?

thank you for any assistance.

jm