Default Camcorder Blues

I have a strange problem with my JVC GR-AXM70 VHS-C Camcorder. When it
is powered up it comes on but within a second or two after hitting
record or play it dies as if the battery is dead. The batteries still
show a full charge after the machine dies! I can turn it off and leave
it a few minutes and it will do the same thing again. Or I can remove
and reinstall the battery and it will power back up and do the same
thing again. The strange thing is that it works great on AC power. I
have tried several different batteries even new ones with no luck. Any
ideas out there?

Thanks,

JP

If it detects that the takeup reel is not turning, it will turn itself
off.

Not definitive, but does fast-fwd work? I had a full VHS camcorder
where FFWD and RWD worked, but the takeup reel wouldn't turn in Play or
Rec. Unfortunately the customer didn't want to pay for more than a
cleaning so I never went deeper to find out exactly what it was.

Yeah FFWD and RWD do work when this thing is AC powered. In fact
everything works great that way. Any other possibilities?

Thanks

Regarding what James said- good point, as it'll typically draw a little
more power in Play or Record than in FFWD or RWD.

Regarding what Jack said: just because FFWD and RWD turn the reels,
does -not- mean the reels turn when in Play or Rec.

Can you see the takeup reels turning when you first hit Play or Record?

Steve Greenfield