Chris F.

Default RCA CTC146LA Tuner

Does anyone have an old junker chassis sitting around, with this tuner on
it? I don't have the tuner # as the tuner cover was missing when I acquired
it. This tuner has 2 antenna inputs (A/B) BTW. Or does anyone know where I
can have the old one rebuilt? I used to send them to Metro Tuner Service
(somewhere in Manitoba I think) but they appear to be out of business now.
Or can someone at least provide me with the RCA part #?
Thanks.

Are you sure the tuner is bad?
Most of those I have seen had a bad (drifted) aft and video detect
coils which mimmick a bad tuner symptom.

Chris F.

Basically there's no sound or pic, just snow, and the set takes about 10-15
seconds to change channels. Is this typical of that problem?
I would usually just send the tuner away and have it tested (used to cost
$10) but like I said it appears that company has closed up.
Surely someone has a junk chassis around? Or does nobody bother keeping
junkers for parts anymore?
oups.com...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Are you sure the tuner is bad?
Most of those I have seen had a bad (drifted) aft and video detect
coils which mimmick a bad tuner symptom.

Sounds like the coils have drifted. You will need a cable tv signal
generator that will generate channels dead on frequency to verify the
adjustments. The actual fix is to replace both the aft coil and video
detect coil and then do the alignment. It still could be the tuner,
but the 10-15 seconds to change channels is usually the aft circuit
delay.

What you want to do is program the tv set to receive only one channel,
the channel you will be using for your generator. Channel 3 is a good
start. Mark the coils position first and keep track of how many turns
you are doing, it should not take more than one turn either way to show
an improvement from normal drifting of the coils.

Now using the channel up button on either the tv or the remote control,
keep pressing the channel up button going back to the same channel.
Watch how long it takes for the tv to try and lock as you slowly move
the coil. When the channel change is almost immediate the aft is in
the right place. Then fine adjust the video detect coil using the same
method until the image looks the best and you still have the fastest
lock in on the channel. The final test is to auto program the tv on
cable and make sure it does not miss any channels.

Tom MacIntyre

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:59:41 GMT, "Chris F."
wrote:

Does anyone have an old junker chassis sitting around, with this tuner on
it? I don't have the tuner # as the tuner cover was missing when I acquired
it. This tuner has 2 antenna inputs (A/B) BTW. Or does anyone know where I
can have the old one rebuilt? I used to send them to Metro Tuner Service
(somewhere in Manitoba I think) but they appear to be out of business now.
Or can someone at least provide me with the RCA part #?
Thanks.

It is (was?) in Quebec...

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...2+quebec&meta=

I don't know how old some of these directories are, but there are
telephone numbers...or have you checked this out already?

Tom

Chris F.

I've been trying to contact them at that number for months now. I always get
a recording in French, nobody ever answers or returns my calls. So either
they've decided not to deal with English-speaking customers, or have closed
down or at least severely downsized their operation. When you think about
it, there can't be much need for their services anymore - after all, how
often is it worth paying $40-$60 for a tuner nowadays? It's too bad though,
because it was nice to know that I could get a tuner for virtually any TV or
VCR, even have my old one rebuilt. I fear that Metro Tuner has become the
latest victim of this dying industry.
wrote:

Does anyone have an old junker chassis sitting around, with this tuner on
it? I don't have the tuner # as the tuner cover was missing when I

acquired
it. This tuner has 2 antenna inputs (A/B) BTW. Or does anyone know where

can have the old one rebuilt? I used to send them to Metro Tuner Service
(somewhere in Manitoba I think) but they appear to be out of business

now.
Or can someone at least provide me with the RCA part #?
Thanks.

It is (was?) in Quebec...

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...2+quebec&meta=

I don't know how old some of these directories are, but there are
telephone numbers...or have you checked this out already?

Tom

RonKZ650

I've never had the coil drift problem on a CTC146. On the CTC149 and
169 I have. The 146 was notorious for bad tuners. Most were thrown out
for this reason or the extremely bright idea of having to replace the
entire cabinet if the plastic pushbuttons break off. Another
possibility is U3300 IC being bad, which can disable the tuner. The way
to tell if it is an AFT alignment problem is to disconnect the antenna,
direct access a known good channel, wait 30 seconds then hook up the
antenna. Good picture=aft alignment off. Still off frequency or
snow=bad tuner, U3300 or other missing signal such as no power supply
to the tuner, no tuning voltage ect.