Braveheart

Default ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Problem

G'day

I have a crook Video card, Ceramic capacitors C580 and C583 (Back to
back on each side of board) appear to be faulty, 1 has actually come off
the board, anyway of finding out the value ? ....... and can I replace
the things with something else ?

Video card works, display just has vertical lines, like a bar code, and
I'd like the fix the thing.

Card has previously "burnt" out a couple of fans, not sure if this is
causing or caused the problem.

Thanks People

Braveheart
Inty

"Braveheart" ha scritto nel messaggio
u...
G'day

I have a crook Video card, Ceramic capacitors C580 and C583 (Back to
back on each side of board) appear to be faulty, 1 has actually come off
the board, anyway of finding out the value ? ....... and can I replace
the things with something else ?

If they are on the power supply 100nF will do.

I.

Andy Cuffe

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:49:09 +1000, Braveheart
wrote:

G'day

I have a crook Video card, Ceramic capacitors C580 and C583 (Back to
back on each side of board) appear to be faulty, 1 has actually come off
the board, anyway of finding out the value ? ....... and can I replace
the things with something else ?

Video card works, display just has vertical lines, like a bar code, and
I'd like the fix the thing.

Card has previously "burnt" out a couple of fans, not sure if this is
causing or caused the problem.

Thanks People

Braveheart

Your best bet is to remove an identical cap from elsewhere on the card
and measure it with a cap meter. If they are just power supply bypass
caps, their value isn't that critical. Losing a few bypass caps
probably won't noticeably affect the video card, but it's worth a try.
You certainly won't hurt it by trying some ceramic caps around .01-.1
uF. They don't need to be surface mount as long as you can make them
fit.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
3T39

Hello, Braveheart!
You wrote on Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:49:09 +1000:

B I have a crook Video card, Ceramic capacitors C580 and C583 (Back to
B back on each side of board) appear to be faulty, 1 has actually come off
B the board, anyway of finding out the value ? ....... and can I replace
B the things with something else ?

B Video card works, display just has vertical lines, like a bar code, and
B I'd like the fix the thing.

B Card has previously "burnt" out a couple of fans, not sure if this is
B causing or caused the problem.

B Thanks People

The fans are likely to have just worn out, the tiny fans on these cards have
crap bearings, I think if the card has gone through a couple of fans and
it's still here, then It's worth fitting a decent fan. I secnd the previous
comments concerning the caps.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: