Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bob Kos

Default Identify Part - Help Needed

Hi All:

I'm trying to repair a CDRW drive that is part of a Sony Laptop Computer.
The drive is a Panasonic / Matsu****a model UJDA730. It is a combo CD /
CDRW / DVDROM. The drive is totally dead. I have substituted a drive into
the computer and it works fine. I have isolated the problem to the drive
itself. I took this drive apart and ran some voltage tests. Panasonic was
nice enough to silkscreen voltages on the board in various places and those
voltages are in place except for one. The component pointed out in the
photo linked below has 5v on one end but 0v on the other end. The sister
part to it has voltage at both ends. Resistance testing shows my mystery
part having 420K ohms or therebouts, the sister part has .4 ohms resistance.

http://bkos.home.infionline.net/MysPart.jpg

My guess is that this part has an open or high resistance. My problem is
that I haven't a clue what it is. It looks like a very tiny coil. But I
could be wrong about that.

Does anybody know what this part is? Any thoughts on the markings - '270
M23' ? Any idea where to get one? Are they difficult to change? It
appears as if the entire component is soldered to the board, not just the
corners.

I'd hate to trash this drive if it is repairable. Even used they cost over
$30 and what will I get for that money? New is out of the question - $150
or therebouts.