sck0006

Default Sony DVP-NS715P problem

Unit is a Sony DVP-NS715P, ser no 2026425 2b, that only plays some
DVD's. The girl I'm looking at it for said it only plays one disk,
but I could only get it to not play one of my disks, and it played all
others normally. I know the DVD it doesn't play is good, the player's
lens is completely clean, I cleaned it with good isopropyl just to be
sure, still the same thing. It searches the disk for a while, and
then says the disk cannot be played. Any idea what sort of problem
this is? All help appreciated, as always.

Steve
JANA

Some of the Sony models have been having problems with the laser units. The
practical side of things is to make sure it can travel freely, and that the
lens is clean. If the laser is defective, this will be too expensive to
replace.

--

JANA
_____

sck0006 wrote in message
Unit is a Sony DVP-NS715P, ser no 2026425 2b, that only plays some
DVD's. The girl I'm looking at it for said it only plays one disk,
but I could only get it to not play one of my disks, and it played all
others normally. I know the DVD it doesn't play is good, the player's
lens is completely clean, I cleaned it with good isopropyl just to be
sure, still the same thing. It searches the disk for a while, and
then says the disk cannot be played. Any idea what sort of problem
this is? All help appreciated, as always.

Steve

sck0006

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:19:22 -0400, "JANA" wrote:

Some of the Sony models have been having problems with the laser units. The
practical side of things is to make sure it can travel freely, and that the
lens is clean. If the laser is defective, this will be too expensive to
replace.

Thanks for the reply. I just found out that she had used this player
very much in the last three years, 3 to 4 hours a day not uncommon, so
I imagine it's highly likely that the laser is at the end of it's
life. Thanks again,
Steve
Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:37:58 -0500, sck0006 put finger to keyboard and
composed:

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:19:22 -0400, "JANA" wrote:

Some of the Sony models have been having problems with the laser units. The
practical side of things is to make sure it can travel freely, and that the
lens is clean. If the laser is defective, this will be too expensive to
replace.

Thanks for the reply. I just found out that she had used this player
very much in the last three years, 3 to 4 hours a day not uncommon, so
I imagine it's highly likely that the laser is at the end of it's
life. Thanks again,
Steve

I bet it plays single layer discs but has trouble with dual layer
ones.

-- Franc Zabkar

sck0006

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:34:37 +1000, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:37:58 -0500, sck0006 put finger to keyboard and
composed:

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:19:22 -0400, "JANA" wrote:

Some of the Sony models have been having problems with the laser units. The
practical side of things is to make sure it can travel freely, and that the
lens is clean. If the laser is defective, this will be too expensive to
replace.

Thanks for the reply. I just found out that she had used this player
very much in the last three years, 3 to 4 hours a day not uncommon, so
I imagine it's highly likely that the laser is at the end of it's
life. Thanks again,
Steve

I bet it plays single layer discs but has trouble with dual layer
ones.

-- Franc Zabkar

The one disk it didn't play is in fact a dual layer DVD. I'll test it
more later and see if this holds true. If this is the case, is there
anythng that can economically be done?
Steve

Franc Zabkar

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:49:35 -0500, sck0006 put finger to keyboard and
composed:

wrote:

[...]

I don't think so. FWIW, you could probably still use it as a CD player
or MP3 player or picture CD player. It may even play burnt single
layer DVDs without problems.

-- Franc Zabkar