David Sewell

Default Old tv chassis you loved to hate

My pet hate has got to be the Bush a823a and the Thorn 4000. And GEC with
their double-sided printed circuit boards used to get on my wick...

Graham

My pet hate has got to be the Bush a823a and the Thorn 4000. And GEC with
their double-sided printed circuit boards used to get on my wick...

Thorn 4000, no such thing, the guy must be mistaken (or so I thought)

There is one here
http://www.eclipse.co.uk/mikey/colour2.html
It says they were rare in the UK. Where did you come across them?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

David Sewell

"Graham" wrote in message ...

My pet hate has got to be the Bush a823a and the Thorn 4000. And GEC

with
their double-sided printed circuit boards used to get on my wick...

Thorn 4000, no such thing, the guy must be mistaken (or so I thought)

There is one here
http://www.eclipse.co.uk/mikey/colour2.html
It says they were rare in the UK. Where did you come across them?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

I had several customers with these sets. Even with having a full manual for
them, free - my sister-in-law worked at the printers ;-) they were a damn
pain...

Barney

"David Sewell" wrote in message
My pet hate has got to be the Bush a823a and the Thorn 4000. And GEC with
their double-sided printed circuit boards used to get on my wick...

A823A was an excellent chassis - apart from getting at the decoder in situ.
The Thorn 4000 was a bit of an abortion, the 3500 was my forte - not
everyone's cup of tea though! GEC were fine - apart fron the double-sided
print. Made a few bob out of the 1018 mono chassis - anyone remember that?

Eric

In New Zealand we were making Thorn 3500 (TX574) when Princess Ann got
married, (must of been middle of 1974)
As CTV came to NZ in November 1973, Factory workers could go to the factory
and see the wedding in color,
I was told the next morning the lunch room started off with 20 TV one by one
they faulted, by the time the wedding was over there was only about 5 sets
still working

Barney wrote in message
news:JsmdnZ2dnZ3sv2CpnZ2dnSpEgN6dnZ2dRVny3J2dnZ0@b rightview.com...

"David Sewell" wrote in message
My pet hate has got to be the Bush a823a and the Thorn 4000. And GEC with
their double-sided printed circuit boards used to get on my wick...

A823A was an excellent chassis - apart from getting at the decoder in situ.
The Thorn 4000 was a bit of an abortion, the 3500 was my forte - not
everyone's cup of tea though! GEC were fine - apart fron the double-sided
print. Made a few bob out of the 1018 mono chassis - anyone remember that?

John

Was the 1018 mono chassis the one prone to bias resistor failure around the
sound output valve?
The thorn 3500 was a brilliant chassis to learn about switch mode power
supplies a lot better than the thyrisistor controlled PSU in the 8000
series.
ITT/KB, GEC, Philips, Thorn all ok but What about that Sony chassis with the
gate controlled switches that popped when you looked at them dam that could
be expensive!

Graham

My favourite CTV chassis has got to be the Decca Bradford
I had the original 22 inch version with the oversized on/off-volume knob.
Much better picture than many of its contemporaries, and such a simple
hybrid circuit you rarely needed to consult the manual.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Barney

"Eric" wrote in message ...
In New Zealand we were making Thorn 3500 (TX574) when Princess Ann got
married, (must of been middle of 1974)
As CTV came to NZ in November 1973, Factory workers could go to the

factory
and see the wedding in color,
I was told the next morning the lunch room started off with 20 TV one by

one
they faulted, by the time the wedding was over there was only about 5 sets
still working

I was offered a job in New Zealand around that time - one or two people I
knew did go - I think the company was called 'Tisco', or something like
that.

Barney

"John" wrote in message
Was the 1018 mono chassis the one prone to bias resistor failure around

the
sound output valve?

Yes - if I remember correctly, they were an 18k and a 5.6k.

The thorn 3500 was a brilliant chassis to learn about switch mode power
supplies a lot better than the thyrisistor controlled PSU in the 8000
series.

The 'chopper' circuit, still my favourite. The 8000 was an abortion, the
8500 was much better.

ITT/KB, GEC, Philips, Thorn all ok but What about that Sony chassis with

the
gate controlled switches that popped when you looked at them dam that

could
be expensive!

Those Sony were absolute beasts. You had to replace numerous things when
those gcs things failed, otherwise they failed again within a short time.

Barney

"Graham" wrote in message ...

My favourite CTV chassis has got to be the Decca Bradford
I had the original 22 inch version with the oversized on/off-volume knob.
Much better picture than many of its contemporaries, and such a simple
hybrid circuit you rarely needed to consult the manual.

The Decca Bradford was indeed a great chassis, they were real money spinners
in those days, armed with about 10 stock faults you were in business
repairing those things.

RCA RPTV: Chassis #PT169PGA Dead!!! Rocker Electronics Repair 11 December 16th 04 02:09 AM
ITC222 chassis issues. (COMMON!) Jason D. Electronics Repair 0 September 9th 04 02:03 AM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
Tech Review: Victor's (8liners/Genao) Replacement Arcade RGB Monitor Chassis (LONG) Pac-Fan Electronics Repair 22 November 26th 03 12:56 PM
Need Sony Monitor schematic CDM-5021PT Sander Paalvast Electronics Repair 0 July 15th 03 02:12 PM