Barney

"John" wrote in message
Was the 1018 mono chassis the one prone to bias resistor failure around

the
sound output valve?

Yes - if I remember correctly, they were an 18k and a 5.6k.

The thorn 3500 was a brilliant chassis to learn about switch mode power
supplies a lot better than the thyrisistor controlled PSU in the 8000
series.

The 'chopper' circuit, still my favourite. The 8000 was an abortion, the
8500 was much better.

ITT/KB, GEC, Philips, Thorn all ok but What about that Sony chassis with

the
gate controlled switches that popped when you looked at them dam that

could
be expensive!

Those Sony were absolute beasts. You had to replace numerous things when
those gcs things failed, otherwise they failed again within a short time.