pigdog

Default Electronic Photo Flash Repair

Hello all.
I am repairing a Nikon SB-80DX flash and I do not have the benefit of a
schematic so I was hoping someone could share their thoughts on my findings.
I think I have narrowed the problem down to a faulty transistor.
Please see http://www.dondoucette.com/sb80dx.jpg for an illustrative
picture.

When I fire the flash I get a voltage pulse at location 1 in the photo pulse
is of correct amplitude and duration.
Location 2 at the transistor is connected to the one side of the capacitor
shown, the voltage here is 285Vdc.
Location 3 at the other side of the capacitor is connected to the purple
wire that is connected in the flash head to the primary side of the trigger
coil.

Am I correct in assuming the pulse at location 1 of the transistor should be
amplified and show up at location 2 allowing 285Vdc to briefly pass through
the capacitor to the purple wire located at position 3 which in turn will be
stepped up by the trigger transformer and trigger the flash?

When fire the flash I do not get any voltage at the primary of the trigger
coil but I do get a pulse at location 1 in the photo.

I am not looking for a definitive answer of any kind just an opinion on the
validity of my findings.

Sincerely,
Donald W. Doucette

Arfa Daily

"pigdog" wrote in message
[...]

Your analysis of the circuit operation sounds about right. The only thing
that I would say is that the switching device is often a thyristor, rather
than a transistor. Have you checked to see what the device is ? It could
make a significant difference as to whether the drive waveform at point 1 is
correct or not.

Arfa