Brad

Default Seeking Old Overlay for Quantum Hard Disk Drive

Hi,

I have a portable Compaq 386 computer I use for data logging.
It uses a standard size HDD. Before I removed a Quantum 750M
HDD from an old desktop PC, I partitioned it with two partitions, one
520M and the remainder was used for the second partition. Each
partition was formatted and a MSDos 6.2 OS installed. Of course,
the 520M partition is the "active" partition. I removed the HDD and
installed it in the 386 computer. The BIOS cannot "see" the second
partition. I have searched the web for older overlays, but I couldn't find
any. Note: A new overlay will not "run" in this old 386 computer.

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

Aidan Grey

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:40:39 GMT, Brad wrote:

Hi,

I have a portable Compaq 386 computer I use for data logging.
It uses a standard size HDD. Before I removed a Quantum 750M
HDD from an old desktop PC, I partitioned it with two partitions, one
520M and the remainder was used for the second partition. Each
partition was formatted and a MSDos 6.2 OS installed. Of course,
the 520M partition is the "active" partition. I removed the HDD and
installed it in the 386 computer. The BIOS cannot "see" the second
partition. I have searched the web for older overlays, but I couldn't find
any. Note: A new overlay will not "run" in this old 386 computer.

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

What do you mean by the term "overlay"?

A 386 machine might not be able to boot from anything past 512 MB. In
fact, the BIOS might not support any hard drives larger than 512 MB.

Aidan Grey

Rinse Cycle

"Aidan Grey" wrote in message
k.com...

[]
What do you mean by the term "overlay"?

A 386 machine might not be able to boot from
anything past 512 MB. In fact, the BIOS might
not support any hard drives larger than 512 MB.

Objection. Asked and answered. :-)

With an overlay, it doesn't matter whether or not the BIOS can see the
drive.

--
RC

Tom MacIntyre

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:02:12 -0400 (EDT), "Aidan Grey"
wrote:

[...]

I used a 1.08G HDD with a 386, using a drive overlay.

Tom
James Sweet

I used a 1.08G HDD with a 386, using a drive overlay.

IIRC that was one of the big advantages of SCSI drives back in the day too.