alitonto

Default Final Result "believe it or not" for:Teac TV ctm687 tuner problem

Firtsly many thanks to all of those who participated in this thread.

Originally the picture on this TV was wavy and distorted.
I replaced a few marginal electrolityc capacitors and the picture
looked almost normal but was always grainy on all channels.

After checking I/Cs etc. I decided to remove the tuner (big ****ty job)
and checked for opens etc. I did find a connection which looked as if
it had a bad contact and resoldered it back properly. Tuner put back
and TV turned on and to my disbelief the picture on all channels was
still grainy.

I was furious and in anger I started to fiddle with any internal
controls I could put my finger to. Offcourse nothing improved except
that I messed up the colours etc.

So the TV had its backpanel replaced and put on the floor for disposal
or eventually parts.(at least to get back all those caps I had
replaced).

Later on that day I thought I will try the "one in a million"
possibility; I took the TV inside the house and connected to the house
antenna. I spent the next couple of hours contemplating how I was going
to take this F... thing apart again to fix up the messed up colours
caused by me in anger; why? because the picture on all channels was no
longer grainy.

Note: in my garage I use a different antenna which has been always been
okai but for some reason it did not please this HDTV television.
The TV is now fully functional.
Cheers
AL

Mark D. Zacharias

"alitonto" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

AGC overload?

Mark Z.

Brian Goldsmith

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote

Later on that day I thought I will try the "one in a million"
possibility; I took the TV inside the house and connected to the house
antenna. I spent the next couple of hours contemplating how I was going
to take this F... thing apart again to fix up the messed up colours
caused by me in anger; why? because the picture on all channels was no
longer grainy.

Note: in my garage I use a different antenna which has been always been
okai but for some reason it did not please this HDTV television.
The TV is now fully functional.
Cheers
AL

AGC overload?

Mark Z.

**** Bog ignorance overload!!

Brian Goldsmith.

kip

Old Saying !!!
Its easier to take the Water to the Horse than take the Horse to Water.

"Brian Goldsmith" wrote in message

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote

Later on that day I thought I will try the "one in a million"
possibility; I took the TV inside the house and connected to the house
antenna. I spent the next couple of hours contemplating how I was going
to take this F... thing apart again to fix up the messed up colours
caused by me in anger; why? because the picture on all channels was no
longer grainy.

Note: in my garage I use a different antenna which has been always been
okai but for some reason it did not please this HDTV television.
The TV is now fully functional.
Cheers
AL

AGC overload?

Mark Z.

**** Bog ignorance overload!!

Brian Goldsmith.

Ken Taylor

"alitonto" wrote in message
ups.com...
Firtsly many thanks to all of those who participated in this thread.

Originally the picture on this TV was wavy and distorted.
I replaced a few marginal electrolityc capacitors and the picture
looked almost normal but was always grainy on all channels.

After checking I/Cs etc. I decided to remove the tuner (big ****ty job)
and checked for opens etc. I did find a connection which looked as if
it had a bad contact and resoldered it back properly. Tuner put back
and TV turned on and to my disbelief the picture on all channels was
still grainy.

I was furious and in anger I started to fiddle with any internal
controls I could put my finger to. Offcourse nothing improved except
that I messed up the colours etc.

That didn't fix it? How surprising?!

So the TV had its backpanel replaced and put on the floor for disposal
or eventually parts.(at least to get back all those caps I had
replaced).

Later on that day I thought I will try the "one in a million"
possibility; I took the TV inside the house and connected to the house
antenna. I spent the next couple of hours contemplating how I was going
to take this F... thing apart again to fix up the messed up colours
caused by me in anger; why? because the picture on all channels was no
longer grainy.

Note: in my garage I use a different antenna which has been always been
okai but for some reason it did not please this HDTV television.
The TV is now fully functional.
Cheers
AL

I seem to recall people saying crap antenna some time back.

Ken