Daniel Cabrera

Default PAL to NTSC and voltage conversion

Dear all,

I have some questions regarding PlayStation 2 hardware, but I am not
sure if this is the appropriate group. If not, could you tell me where
to send my message?

I am residing in the US for a couple of years and I brought by PS2 from
Europe (particularly from Spain). I need some devices to convert: (a)
the PAL signal into NTSC, and (b) the voltage/frequency from European to
US standards. Could you give me some advice and/or links about where I
can buy these items?

Suppose I use some external device to convert from PAL to NTSC. Is that
enough to play US games in a European PS2 ? Somebody told me that the
games are codified in a different way to prevent form using in different
region machines.

Thank you very much!
Daniel
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Daniel Cabrera wrote:

I have some questions regarding PlayStation 2 hardware, but I am not
sure if this is the appropriate group. If not, could you tell me where
to send my message?

Since you are asking about using it and not "hacking" it, this is a good
a place as any. :-)

I am residing in the US for a couple of years and I brought by PS2 from
Europe (particularly from Spain). I need some devices to convert: (a)
the PAL signal into NTSC, and (b) the voltage/frequency from European to
US standards. Could you give me some advice and/or links about where I
can buy these items?

Don't waste your time converting it. Buy a multisystem TV. Just make sure
it takes 120 volts AC and NTSC-3.57 signals via the tuner. Multisystem
TVs made for use overseas often have PAL tuners and take NTSC signals
only on the line in. (for example my Sony).

They are sold by places in large cities that cater to sailors and
people with family outside of the U.S. who buy them and ship them
"home". You can try asking at Indian grocery stores.

Israelis often have stores in big cities that sell "foreign"
electronics, but they have a less than wonderful reputation.
(Before you accuse me of being antisemitic, look where I am posting
from.)

As for power, a simple 120-230 volt step up transformer will do. They
are fairly easy to get. Radio Shack used to carry them, they may still
do. Get one rated twice the power your PS/2 requires.

Suppose I use some external device to convert from PAL to NTSC. Is that
enough to play US games in a European PS2 ? Somebody told me that the
games are codified in a different way to prevent form using in different
region machines.

No, it the games will not work. It can be modified by adding a ROM
chip with special (non Sony) code. This is called "chipping" the unit.
It may be illegal in the U.S.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (077)-424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Want to elimnate amateur (ham) radio? Use Google.
eHam.net supports Google and therefore BPL.