TerryMcDaniel

Default Will a European PS2 work in Brazil?

Hello all...

I was hoping to use my European PS2 (PAL) in Brazil (PAL M).
Does anyone know if this works?
And, if not, are there converters to make it work?

Thanks in advance...

Arfa Daily

Probably not.

I'm pretty sure that there's nowhere in Europe that uses PAL - M. Most
places use -B or -G.
UK uses PAL -I

Specs are :-

PAL - I 625 lines // Channel Bandwidth 8MHz // Vision Bandwith
5.5MHz //
Sound Carrier Spacing + 6MHz // Vision Mod Sense -ve // Sound Mod FM

PAL - B 625 lines // Channel Bandwidth 7MHz // Vision Bandwidth 5MHz
//
Sound Carrier Spacing + 5.5MHz // Vision Mod Sense -ve // Sound Mod FM

PAL -G/H 625 lines // Channel Bandwidth 8MHz // Vision Bandwidth 5MHz
//
Sound Carrier Spacing + 5.5MHz // Vision Mod Sense -ve // Sound Mod
FM

PAL -M 525 lines // Channel Bandwidth 6MHz // Vision Bandwidth
4.2MHz //
Sound Carrier Spacing + 4.5MHz // Vision Mod Sense -ve // Sound Mod
FM

As you can see, the specs of -M are fairly different from the others in
common use in Europe. Some modern TVs are multistandard in that they can
handle both PAL and NTSC and in some cases SECAM also, but I'm not sure that
there are any that can handle the differences in PAL standards. A modern TV
designed for 525 line use in Brazil might lock a 625 vision signal, but you
won't get any sound. Also, with the -M vision bandwidth limit of 4.2MHz, you
probably wouldn't get any colour as the chroma subcarrier is usually up at
about 4.5MHz ( 4.43361875 in the uk ) even if the decoder could handle 4.5
meg colour. You'd get sound of course if you were going straight in to the
TV's audio in sockets in AV mode, but you still wouldn't get colour feeding
into the composite video in socket. Can't remember if the PS2 is capable of
RGB output, but if it is, and the TV is capable of accepting RGB, then you
might get away with it. Bear in mind though, that the TV in Brazil is
unlikely to have a SCART socket, as this means of connection is peculiar to
Europe.

All in all, I would have thought that it was easier to just buy another PS2
out there. You probably wouldn't be able to play existing games or DVDs
bought in Europe though.

Geoff

oups.com...