Svilen Stoicheff

Default Akai PT4298HD lens problem?

I have a 42" Akai projection TV, model PT4298HD. I turned it on today
and saw that the picture appeared misaligned -- the red color displays
in an out-of-sync, non-horizontal shape. See these pictures:
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/43600195.JPG
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/43600196.JPG
I've tinkered with computers, but I'm new to projection TVs. Any pointer
in the right direction will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Svilen
kip

If its a Plasma set you will have to call for
service there is zip you can do yourself.
If its a regular pro set change the convergence IC,s

kip

"Svilen Stoicheff" wrote in message
I have a 42" Akai projection TV, model PT4298HD. I turned it on today and
saw that the picture appeared misaligned -- the red color displays in an
out-of-sync, non-horizontal shape. See these pictures:
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/43600195.JPG
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/43600196.JPG
I've tinkered with computers, but I'm new to projection TVs. Any pointer
in the right direction will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Svilen

Art

Two conditions will affect this, first is leaking crt onto the deflection
board, very common with Samsung, Akai RPTV CRT SETS. Second in failure in
the convergence dynamic output circuit or the fluid has also gotten to the
signal circuit contaminating the DCU assembly. In depth diagnostics required
to assure that there is no coolant fluid leakage, and if there is, what is
damaged. BTW the crts come with the yokes attached. When changing any of
them for leakage order the crt circuit boards (complete 3 card assembly with
focus assembly) also. What a nice design!!
"kip" wrote in message
.. .
If its a Plasma set you will have to call for
service there is zip you can do yourself.
If its a regular pro set change the convergence IC,s

kip

"Svilen Stoicheff" wrote in message
I have a 42" Akai projection TV, model PT4298HD. I turned it on today and
saw that the picture appeared misaligned -- the red color displays in an
out-of-sync, non-horizontal shape. See these pictures:
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/43600195.JPG
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/43600196.JPG
I've tinkered with computers, but I'm new to projection TVs. Any pointer
in the right direction will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Svilen

Svilen Stoicheff

Art wrote:
Two conditions will affect this, first is leaking crt onto the deflection
board, very common with Samsung, Akai RPTV CRT SETS. Second in failure in
the convergence dynamic output circuit or the fluid has also gotten to the
signal circuit contaminating the DCU assembly. In depth diagnostics required
to assure that there is no coolant fluid leakage, and if there is, what is
damaged. BTW the crts come with the yokes attached. When changing any of
them for leakage order the crt circuit boards (complete 3 card assembly with
focus assembly) also. What a nice design!!

I should have mentioned that the TV in question is a projection TV.

"kip" wrote in message
.. .

If its a Plasma set you will have to call for
service there is zip you can do yourself.
If its a regular pro set change the convergence IC,s

kip

"Svilen Stoicheff" wrote in message

I have a 42" Akai projection TV, model PT4298HD. I turned it on today and
saw that the picture appeared misaligned -- the red color displays in an
out-of-sync, non-horizontal shape. See these pictures:
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/43600195.JPG
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/43600196.JPG
I've tinkered with computers, but I'm new to projection TVs. Any pointer
in the right direction will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Svilen

Art

As Mentioned, nothing that the average consumer can address themselves, have
it serviced. BTW you will not want to handle any of the internal components
if indeed there is coolant leakage!!
Art wrote:
Two conditions will affect this, first is leaking crt onto the deflection
board, very common with Samsung, Akai RPTV CRT SETS. Second in failure in
the convergence dynamic output circuit or the fluid has also gotten to
the signal circuit contaminating the DCU assembly. In depth diagnostics
required to assure that there is no coolant fluid leakage, and if there
is, what is damaged. BTW the crts come with the yokes attached. When
changing any of them for leakage order the crt circuit boards (complete 3
card assembly with focus assembly) also. What a nice design!!

I should have mentioned that the TV in question is a projection TV.

"kip" wrote in message
.. .

If its a Plasma set you will have to call for
service there is zip you can do yourself.
If its a regular pro set change the convergence IC,s

kip

"Svilen Stoicheff" wrote in message

I have a 42" Akai projection TV, model PT4298HD. I turned it on today
and saw that the picture appeared misaligned -- the red color displays
in an out-of-sync, non-horizontal shape. See these pictures:
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/43600195.JPG
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/43600196.JPG
I've tinkered with computers, but I'm new to projection TVs. Any pointer
in the right direction will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Svilen

Svilen Stoicheff

Art wrote:
As Mentioned, nothing that the average consumer can address themselves, have
it serviced. BTW you will not want to handle any of the internal components
if indeed there is coolant leakage!!

Understood. Thanks for the input. You are right, it should be serviced
by a qualified technician -- I just wanted to do due diligence and
verify I'm not missing something trivial. For all I can say, it's
probably a convergence board issue -- convergence is way off, and it
doesn't get any better when I try to adjust it manually.
Here's what it looks like:
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/Aka...tedPicture.jpg
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/Aka...onvergence.jpg

Art wrote:

Two conditions will affect this, first is leaking crt onto the deflection
board, very common with Samsung, Akai RPTV CRT SETS. Second in failure in
the convergence dynamic output circuit or the fluid has also gotten to
the signal circuit contaminating the DCU assembly. In depth diagnostics
required to assure that there is no coolant fluid leakage, and if there
is, what is damaged. BTW the crts come with the yokes attached. When
changing any of them for leakage order the crt circuit boards (complete 3
card assembly with focus assembly) also. What a nice design!!

I should have mentioned that the TV in question is a projection TV.

"kip" wrote in message
m...

If its a Plasma set you will have to call for
service there is zip you can do yourself.
If its a regular pro set change the convergence IC,s

kip

"Svilen Stoicheff" wrote in message

I have a 42" Akai projection TV, model PT4298HD. I turned it on today
and saw that the picture appeared misaligned -- the red color displays
in an out-of-sync, non-horizontal shape. See these pictures:
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/43600195.JPG
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/43600196.JPG
I've tinkered with computers, but I'm new to projection TVs. Any pointer
in the right direction will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Svilen

Krisma

I'm considering a similar Akai set, actualy I was going to post to see if
people had problems with them.

How long have you had your set? Did you buy a protection plan, if so, is
this type of repair covered???

Art wrote:

Two conditions will affect this, first is leaking crt onto the
deflection board, very common with Samsung, Akai RPTV CRT SETS. Second
in failure in the convergence dynamic output circuit or the fluid has
also gotten to the signal circuit contaminating the DCU assembly. In
depth diagnostics required to assure that there is no coolant fluid
leakage, and if there is, what is damaged. BTW the crts come with the
yokes attached. When changing any of them for leakage order the crt
circuit boards (complete 3 card assembly with focus assembly) also. What
a nice design!!

I should have mentioned that the TV in question is a projection TV.

"kip" wrote in message
om...

If its a Plasma set you will have to call for
service there is zip you can do yourself.
If its a regular pro set change the convergence IC,s

kip

"Svilen Stoicheff" wrote in message

I have a 42" Akai projection TV, model PT4298HD. I turned it on today
and saw that the picture appeared misaligned -- the red color displays
in an out-of-sync, non-horizontal shape. See these pictures:
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/43600195.JPG
http://stoicheff.dynu.com/images/43600196.JPG
I've tinkered with computers, but I'm new to projection TVs. Any
pointer in the right direction will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Svilen

Jason D.

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 13:24:21 -0500, Svilen Stoicheff
wrote:

Art wrote:
As Mentioned, nothing that the average consumer can address themselves, have
it serviced. BTW you will not want to handle any of the internal components
if indeed there is coolant leakage!!

This is Samsung-made TV, just the name plate and different model #.
Take it to decent service shop that knows samsung stuff. The parts to
repair this failure is common availablity.

BTW, this is very, very common failure.

Oh, be prepared to wait awhile if your shop have to order the main amp
IC for the convergence because particular IC is on backorder so often
due to very poor heatsinking (keeping IC cool enough) action. If the
shop is samsung authorized, they will order one through Samsung and
get IC in few days.

Cheers, Wizard