Default Tosh 43H60 convergence

Hi;

I Tshot it for the usual convergence job, had the usual bow which is
characteristic for this failure in sets that use convergence for T/B
pin correction.

The other guy changed the ICs, and one resistor. Now the convergence is
really whacked out. Looking at it I know why the ICs went, they are
being driven with some totally whacked out waveform. What is obvious is
that the convergence data are screwed up, I mean if you ever did acid a
crosshatch on it might result in a flashback. It's funny, but this
thing is so whacked out it is almost artistic ! If we wind up replacing
the DCM I want the old one. Actually I would only need the EPROM, put
some water cooling on the STKs and build it into my wall. I'd take the
whole set but I guess I would have to buy the customer a set, minus the
repair cost. I might make due on the $6 EPROM if I ever even do this.

I can tell that all six channels are working, and I can tell the DCM is
feeding it, and the only way for this particular error to happen is
corrupt data.

Is there a procedure on board that I can do to reset the data to
pre-factory alignment values ? I'm not afraid to do a full alignment,
even on the whole set, but the service manual isn't very clear on this.

If I lose the option data, especially if the procedure doesn't reset
the convergence data this would not be good. Actually it would be quite
difficult to even read the option data to write it down.

EPROMs just screw up sometimes, we've seen this in RCAs, when you don't
bother to replace it, just re-initialize it.

Does the procedure exist on this set ?

Thanks in advance.

JURB

Thanks Art, but what if I just change the EPROM that holds the data ?
It is for sure doing the D/A conversion, all axes are working, of that
I can be sure.

Incedentally I have developed a system to align these things without
the overlay. Hint : Masking tape.

I would even consider aligning it with the current EPROM but it is
soooooo whacked out, it's well worth six bucks for an EPROM, literally
to make it easier/possible.

It's really not surprising that this crazy drive from the DCU caused
the failure of the STKs. I'm almost serious about saving this EPROM,
then when one of these things will never have sound or something
because you can't get the part, the set will become a new form of art !
We copy the EPROM data and sell it as the actual artwork, buying a
compatible Toshiba RPTV would be analogous to buying a frame for a
painting ! What a trip. As a non-creating, but naming person, I could
hardly be called an artist, but I would name it "Vortices" because the
crosshatch looks like something on a sci-fi movie.

Also, this could be a higher mathematics study aid. Resolved : Is it
mathematically possible for absolutely NO area of this raster to be
converged. (actually that is quite interesting to me)

I was talking about this to a buddy, he's going to "borrow" a decent
digital camera from work, it will be returned. At first he started to
say "Too bad you don't have a video capture card......" but he is
pretty smart and stopped himself, realizing that this would not work.
You need a picture because it's deflection. Believe me I'm going to try
to get such a picture, I'll post a link to it.

Last time I had this problem it was an NAP, but I'll tell you, the
effect was not like this. This one looks cool, I'm serious. I'm top
tech there, and as such I'm going to insist on changing that EPROM, and
the old one is going into my pocket.

HA HA, perhaps an eBay test auction is in order. This would be among
the more bizzare, but then when they get five figures for a grilled
cheese sandwich, this EPROM could bolster my retirement.

Didn't mean to get froggy here, but it is the weekend.

I think it would be best to change the DCU EPROM, what say you ?

Have a good one and thanks.

JURB