Junior Member

Default JBL Subwoofer PSW-D115 Power Problem

I picked one of these up today off of craigslist.. it was free and came with the instruction manual, and a pack of 250v 3amp fuses... it wont power on, so i figured it is a fuse... i pulled off the back panel, and there is no fuse in it.. i put in one of the fuses that came with it, and it blew it right away.. i'm no expert in this field, but a 3amp fuse seems a little small... am i correct in assuming this? what size fuse should it be? i dont want to put a fuse that is to big for it in, and cause other problems to the speaker/house.. any clues on how to make this thing work? Thank you in advance.
-Blake
NSM

"Blake" wrote in message

I picked one of these up today off of craigslist.. it was free and came
with the instruction manual, and a pack of 250v 3amp fuses... it wont
power on, so i figured it is a fuse... i pulled off the back panel, and
there is no fuse in it.

What is the label on the fuseholder?

i put in one of the fuses that came with it,
and it blew it right away.. i'm no expert in this field, but a 3amp
fuse seems a little small.

Hardly.

am i correct in assuming this? what size
fuse should it be? i dont want to put a fuse that is to big for it in,
and cause other problems to the speaker/house.. any clues on how to
make this thing work? Thank you in advance.

How much training and experience do you have in electronics repair?

NSM; He probably isn't a tech.

Blake, these amps for the JBLs are not up to snuff IMO. The best thing
to do is to get an amp and feed it externally. I have a 112 and simply
feed it from the crossover of a speaker with a blown woofer. It is
great, the speaker and enclosure perform very well. I've had flat
response in this room below 30 for a long time, but this thing goes
even lower. I am very pleased with it.

Screw the amp, what's more get another one and use them on both sides.
Then you just hook them up with your exising speakers. If they are too
boomy get some crossovers for them. I wish I had room for two, I would
buy another fried out one to put on the right channel. I'd hook it up
the same way here, connected to the woofer output of a Boston Acoustics
A-150. It's funny, but the woofer in my right A-150 is actually
borrowed. So I could return it.

Actually you can get amps anywhere, but a superior speaker and
enclosure like this will work without the internal amp.

JURB

jango2

A 3 amp fuse on the secondary side of the power supply might be small,
but if it's on the primary side it's adequate...think, W = V X I
.....250 Volts X 3 amps = 750 watts........