MeMo

Default HELP: Hitachi Projection TV - It Just Died!

I have a Hitachi 55" project TV (model 55FX48B) that just dies yesterday
while watching a DVD. Essentially, the power just quit and none of the
front panel buttons respond, nor on the remote.

I have already opened up the unit and checked inside. None of the usual
circuit board status LEDs are on which lead me to think that it might simply
be a burned fuse. However, the fuse is fine and there is no obvious signs
of anything burned, blown, or loose (module wise).

In going through the layman's test ritual, I've noticed that when I unplug
the TV for about 60 seconds and plug it back in, the circuit board LEDs turn
on in a sequenced pattern and then everything shuts off again. This happens
every time I unplug and plug the unit in - and lasts about 5 seconds. I
suspect the LED pattern is the TV's self test which probably identifies
something wrong with the TV and then shuts the unit down to avoid any
further damage.

Nevertheless, the dilemma that I'm having is whether to spend the money to
have the TV serviced or simply take that money towards buying a new one.
The service visit alone to get an estimate is $60. The TV also has a faulty
conversion unit which has for about a year been unable to converge the red
emitter on one edge of the TV - not a major problem since it is only off by
a minor bit - but it would have cost me about $800 to get the convergence
unit replaced.

I went to Costco yesterday and saw a brand new 55" projection for $1,500. I
think it's an AIWA. I'm also saw a 42" plasma for $2,000, also at Costco.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with my TV based on the minor
information that I've been able to identify above? Or, possibly give some
idea what a typical service repair on such a unit might costs (and, yes, I
know it depends on the problem). I'm just trying to evaluate what I should
do. Thanks...

components that "look" fine with "no obvious signs
of anything burned, blown, or loose" can still be quite defective.
Troubleshooting and testing are needed.
So you can make an intelligent repair or replace decision with facts
instead of wild guesses on the Internet or Telephone you need to have a
tech actually see and touch the television to provide you a repair cost
estimate.
electricitym

sofie

MeMo:
Gosh, instead of guessing, pay the shop $60 to give you a repair cost
estimate so you can deal with facts .... what if the repair is not that
expensive? You won't know until you get the estimate so take a small
chance with $60 instead of immediately paying $1500 or $2000. .....
....... or are you really looking for an excuse to buy a new TV?
Pay your money and take your choice.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"MeMo" wrote in message news:ttOdnfGPZZOLLV_fRVn-
I'm just trying to evaluate what I should
do. Thanks...

Tom MacIntyre

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:25:55 -0700, "sofie" wrote:

MeMo:
Gosh, instead of guessing, pay the shop $60 to give you a repair cost
estimate so you can deal with facts .... what if the repair is not that
expensive? You won't know until you get the estimate so take a small
chance with $60 instead of immediately paying $1500 or $2000. .....
...... or are you really looking for an excuse to buy a new TV?
Pay your money and take your choice.

I second this...and $800 to replace a convergence board is ridiculous
in my opinion when repair/adjustment of the convergence is likely (at
least possibly) an option, at 1/4-1/3 the cost, or so.

Tom

Who dair, who dat:
Not too many shops will do a home service call, drive to and from your
home, and give a FREE estimate.... not at the price of gasoline these
days.
The $60 in-home estimate fee sounds very reasonable.... especially if
the shop is going to be around for a while to warranty the work.
electricitym
..
..

ditto: 100% of the places that use to give FREE in home estimates have
long gone out of business. The reputable shops that are still around
have more business than they can handle because there simply is no more
competition.

10 years ago there were over 30 shops in town. Now there are TWO.

kip

Nothing is FREE.

Time = Money
Gas = Money
Insurance = Money
Vehicle = Money

Somebody needs to get with the Program.

kip

wrote in message
ups.com...
Who dair, who dat:
Not too many shops will do a home service call, drive to and from your
home, and give a FREE estimate.... not at the price of gasoline these
days.
The $60 in-home estimate fee sounds very reasonable.... especially if
the shop is going to be around for a while to warranty the work.
electricitym
.
.

kip

Actually not /\\\\2 for $60.00 Money spent.
$30.00each..ya sold one for $70.00 ya made $40.00
Second set still cost ya $30.00....ya made $40.00 on the first.
Its called being Technical..
Sell the 2nd set then ya make money.
Minus the Money ya spent to drive the Flea markets
Oh ! I forgot your time..Definitely Zero,,Yes ?

kip

"kip" wrote in message
.. .
We are talking TV Service...

kip
"Ricky" wrote in message
Nothing is free, Not true. we picked up 2 working TV`s for $60 at moving
sale,sold 1 for $70, How much did the 2nd TV cost? FREE
.. .