NSM

Default Looking for Red LED gauge to measure oxygen sensor output

"jbclem" wrote in message

I'm looking for a supplier that sells a small red led gauge(3 or 4 led)

that I will use
to read voltage coming from the oxygen sensor in my car. The guage

pictured below is
accurate to .001 volt, runs off of 8-15volts. The voltage output from the

oxygen sensor
is usually between .1 volt and 1.00 volt, and changes rapidly). The red

LEDs are bright
enough to read in sunlight, so it can be mounted on my dashboard.

I don't know much about electronics so I'm not sure what kind of circuit

is used to make
such a readout work. I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions about this.

Why don't I
buy the one pictured? Well, at $69.00 + $9.95 shipping, it seems a bit

high. I'm
thinking more in the $5-10 range.

Buy a DMM for less than $10. Or

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...122&type=store

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...200&type=store

James Sweet

"jbclem" wrote in message
I'm looking for a supplier that sells a small red led gauge(3 or 4 led)

that I will use
to read voltage coming from the oxygen sensor in my car. The guage

pictured below is
accurate to .001 volt, runs off of 8-15volts. The voltage output from the

oxygen sensor
is usually between .1 volt and 1.00 volt, and changes rapidly). The red

LEDs are bright
enough to read in sunlight, so it can be mounted on my dashboard.

I don't know much about electronics so I'm not sure what kind of circuit

is used to make
such a readout work. I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions about this.

Why don't I
buy the one pictured? Well, at $69.00 + $9.95 shipping, it seems a bit

high. I'm
thinking more in the $5-10 range.

John

If you don't know much about electronics you won't save much money trying to
make one.

There is something about that: you can't measure the output of an O2 or
Lambda sensor with a standard DVM.

I have also heard that you can damage one trying to measure it with a
DVM. I don't know if I buy this, except maybe if the loading during the
warmup stage screws it up. Far fetched I think.

I do know this, you don't really get any kind of meaningful reading on
a DVM from an O2 sensor.

JURB

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
There is something about that: you can't measure the output of an O2 or
Lambda sensor with a standard DVM.

I have also heard that you can damage one trying to measure it with a
DVM. I don't know if I buy this, except maybe if the loading during the
warmup stage screws it up. Far fetched I think.

I do know this, you don't really get any kind of meaningful reading on
a DVM from an O2 sensor.

JURB

You need a really high impedance meter, and very short or well shielded wire
runs. The O2 sensor has a very high impedance output and is easily
interfered with.

jbclem

Funny you should say this...I've made this measurement a number of times using my
Wavetec DVOM. I just wanted a permanent fixture that I could have somewhere on my dash.
The panel gauge pictured in my message was being sold for that precise purpose,
measuring the Lambda sensor output...I'm just trying to duplicate it without spending
alot of money. Today I ran a wire from the engine compartment O2 sensor wire to the
front of the car (VW Vanagon) and drove around with the DVOM hooked up to the wire and
was getting readings that were consistent with open loop and closed loop status.

I looked in AllElectronics and some other sites, they have LED panel meters but so far
none with .001 resolution and none that operate with 9-14 volts. I'm also not sure what
kind of circuit(board) is needed to use these panel meters as a voltmeter. On the
other hand buying a cheap DMM might be a solution if Il could find one that used LEDs
and read millivolts. Is there such a thing?

John

wrote in message
oups.com...
There is something about that: you can't measure the output of an O2 or
Lambda sensor with a standard DVM.

I have also heard that you can damage one trying to measure it with a
DVM. I don't know if I buy this, except maybe if the loading during the
warmup stage screws it up. Far fetched I think.

I do know this, you don't really get any kind of meaningful reading on
a DVM from an O2 sensor.

JURB

NSM

"jbclem" wrote in message

On the
other hand buying a cheap DMM might be a solution if I could find one that

used LEDs
and read millivolts. Is there such a thing?

No, they're all LCD these days and have been for years.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...122&type=store

3.5 DIGIT LED PANEL METER, 200 MV

Maximum Input: 199.9mV DC

Supply Voltage: 5Vdc (Zener off battery should work)

Common Ground - Can monitor own voltage - very important for this
application.

Your Price: $15.00 each

JazzMan

NSM wrote:

"jbclem" wrote in message

On the
other hand buying a cheap DMM might be a solution if I could find one that

used LEDs
and read millivolts. Is there such a thing?

No, they're all LCD these days and have been for years.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...122&type=store

3.5 DIGIT LED PANEL METER, 200 MV

Maximum Input: 199.9mV DC

Supply Voltage: 5Vdc (Zener off battery should work)

Common Ground - Can monitor own voltage - very important for this
application.

Your Price: $15.00 each

What I'd like to see is a DPM with a fast pointer like
the Fluke '87-88 series of meters and high-impedence mV
readings to 0.001 resolution. Averaging would be nice, too.

JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
Ken Weitzel

JazzMan wrote:
NSM wrote:

"jbclem" wrote in message

On the
other hand buying a cheap DMM might be a solution if I could find one that

used LEDs

and read millivolts. Is there such a thing?

No, they're all LCD these days and have been for years.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...122&type=store

3.5 DIGIT LED PANEL METER, 200 MV

Maximum Input: 199.9mV DC

Supply Voltage: 5Vdc (Zener off battery should work)

Common Ground - Can monitor own voltage - very important for this
application.

Your Price: $15.00 each

What I'd like to see is a DPM with a fast pointer like
the Fluke '87-88 series of meters and high-impedence mV
readings to 0.001 resolution. Averaging would be nice, too.

JazzMan

Hi...

I'd give my right arm for a meter that incorporated both
a digital readout and a very lightly damped moving pointer...

Kinda like those wrist watches that have both hands and
a digital readout at the bottom.

Take care.

Ken

Dave Plowman (News)

I'm looking for a supplier that sells a small red led gauge(3 or 4
led) that I will use to read voltage coming from the oxygen sensor in
my car. The guage pictured below is accurate to .001 volt, runs off
of 8-15volts. The voltage output from the oxygen sensor is usually
between .1 volt and 1.00 volt, and changes rapidly). The red LEDs are
bright enough to read in sunlight, so it can be mounted on my
dashboard.

I don't know much about electronics so I'm not sure what kind of
circuit is used to make such a readout work. I'd appreciate any ideas
or suggestions about this. Why don't I buy the one pictured? Well, at
$69.00 + $9.95 shipping, it seems a bit high. I'm thinking more in the
$5-10 range.

My thoughts would be along the lines of using an LED VU meter originally
designed to measure sound levels. With an instrument grade OP amp on the
front end to provide a high impedance input. And probably some mods to
make the input to the VU device DC coupled.

But you'd not do this for near $10

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

James Sweet

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
[...]

You could with some salvaging or utilizing free samples from semiconductor
companies but not without some electronics knowledge or at least a fair
amount of reading up on stuff.