William R. Walsh

Default Ever seen a side-loading VCR?

Hello all...

In my latest round of shopping at Curbside Discount I happened across a very
interesting Zenith VCR. It's a Model VR-1380 and the way it takes a tape is
rather unique. The tape is loaded "sideways". So far it looks to work apart
from some moderately tired rubber.

http://greyghost.dyndns.org/zenithvcr/ has pictures, 640x480, 47~49Kb

Anyone ever seen another VCR that does this?

William

Michael Kennedy

Thats Cool!
"William R. Walsh" wrote in
message news:UNuqe.35928$x96.3790@attbi_s72...
Hello all...

In my latest round of shopping at Curbside Discount I happened across a
very
interesting Zenith VCR. It's a Model VR-1380 and the way it takes a tape
is
rather unique. The tape is loaded "sideways". So far it looks to work
apart
from some moderately tired rubber.

http://greyghost.dyndns.org/zenithvcr/ has pictures, 640x480, 47~49Kb

Anyone ever seen another VCR that does this?

William

Stephen Sank

The original design was the JVC HR-D470, rebadged for Zenith as the VR3300, and was quite a
decent hifi machine. That sideways loader is still the most reliable loader mech I've ever
seen in vhs.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hello all...

In my latest round of shopping at Curbside Discount I happened across a very
interesting Zenith VCR. It's a Model VR-1380 and the way it takes a tape is
rather unique. The tape is loaded "sideways". So far it looks to work apart
from some moderately tired rubber.
http://greyghost.dyndns.org/zenithvcr/ has pictures, 640x480, 47~49Kb
Anyone ever seen another VCR that does this?
William

Amstrad double decker dd9904 has two of these side loading mechs. It's
a real b*tch to get to the mode switch however, so that kind of put me
off 'em!
Ben

NSM

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message

"William R. Walsh" wrote in
message news:UNuqe.35928$x96.3790@attbi_s72...
Hello all...

In my latest round of shopping at Curbside Discount I happened across a
very
interesting Zenith VCR. It's a Model VR-1380 and the way it takes a tape
is
rather unique. The tape is loaded "sideways". So far it looks to work
apart
from some moderately tired rubber.

http://greyghost.dyndns.org/zenithvcr/ has pictures, 640x480, 47~49Kb

Anyone ever seen another VCR that does this?

William

Thats Cool!

I own two of these - one working. The VCR is interesting but must be rather
complex.

frontline@nospam

There was an odd format 3/4" that top loaded sideways, the tape came
out like an EL cassete or 8 track tape, early JVC I think.
Jeff

none

On 11 Jun 2005 10:25:29 -0700, "frontline@nospam"
wrote:

There was an odd format 3/4" that top loaded sideways, the tape came
out like an EL cassete or 8 track tape, early JVC I think.
Jeff

JVC also made a VHS machine that took the tape sideways.

Wayne Tiffany wrote:
Looks like the same one that we have at our church. Still seems to work
fine after all these years.

Now THAT's a miracle!!
seriously though, you might want to check the rubber parts before it
chews up a prized recording...
-B

none

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 07:39:03 -0500, "Wayne Tiffany"
wrote:

Looks like the same one that we have at our church. Still seems to work
fine after all these years.

WT

"William R. Walsh" wrote in
message news:UNuqe.35928$x96.3790@attbi_s72...
Hello all...

In my latest round of shopping at Curbside Discount I happened across a
very
interesting Zenith VCR. It's a Model VR-1380 and the way it takes a tape
is
rather unique. The tape is loaded "sideways". So far it looks to work
apart
from some moderately tired rubber.

It was actually made by JVC, zenith slapped their logo on many a JVC
product back in the 80's.
I saw the JVC equivalant at my local Goddwill a month or so ago and it
ran fine as well, was a S-VHS as well.
http://greyghost.dyndns.org/zenithvcr/ has pictures, 640x480, 47~49Kb

Anyone ever seen another VCR that does this?

William

Help with U-Matic loading problem? Bradley1234 Electronics Repair 0 January 4th 05 05:41 AM
"Groaning" Ice Cube Maker in GE Side by Side [email protected] Home Repair 3 January 1st 05 06:10 PM
trenching and other uses of a high pressure washer Jer Home Repair 5 November 18th 04 08:59 PM
Flat Roof Side Window Gary Holt UK diy 1 October 6th 03 07:49 PM
Since I don't have any plans...whatsa best way to secure desk'sback panel to side panels? (and other questions) Bay Area Dave Woodworking 6 August 28th 03 06:02 PM