John-Del

Default Toshiba MD13P1 TV/DVD combo problem(s)

I don't usually bother with stuff this small, but I will look at these
for customers I've had for years.

I have two MD13P1s in the shop that shut down within a couple of
seconds of start. The raster looks fine before shutdown occurs.
Customers say sometimes it will run for weeks with no problem. The
other one is now running on the bench. I wouldn't ordinarily bother the
group with this except there is quite a pattern developing on these.

I have another customer who picked one up from my shop a couple of
weeks ago (same complaint, although it's a 14" flat version) that
didn't show a problem in the shop, but is now shutting down again. I
did some checking on the web, and found a post from a guy who has two
with the same problem, and one was already replaced in warranty for the
same problme, so he's had three with the same problem! Cut and pasted
from the web:

Topic: TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Date:4/7/2005
Subject:Toshiba MD13P1 Turns itself off

Question
I own two of these tv/dvd sets, they are in different rooms and both
have the exact same problem. It started suddenly turning itself off
instantly after turning it on. I could not figure it out so I took It
back to the store where it was purchased and they traded it in for a
new one. I thought the problem might just be a fluke and I liked the tv
set so I also bought another one for a separate room. Now both of the
new ones, (3 mo. old) are doing the exact same thing. I turn the sets
on and they instantly turn off, I've tried unplugging them and plugging
them back in, and they stay on for about 15-20 seconds and then turn
off again, then I try it again and they turn off instantly.

I suggested to one of my customers that he contact Toshiba and see if
there is a known problem, and of course "they have never heard of this
problem. I'm half tempted to order the schematic for this model, but I
really only do these loss jobs for good customers. Anyone here run
across these?