Lenny

Default Toshiba TV mod. CF32C50, Ch. TAC9323 audio problems

This set came in with the complaint that the audio was intermittant. I
noted normal audio when I first powered it up with no evidence of
instability due to vibration. I pulled the chassis and repaired a few
questionable solder joints, reinstalled the chassis and now the audio
is barely audible. The output from the Var output jacks is also weak
as is the external speaker output. Feeding external audio in doesn't
work either. Now I'm not sure if this is THE problem I'm now seeing or
if perhaps I created a new one. I have no schematic on this one
either,(so what else is new)? Does anyone have any tips on this
chassis pertaining to this problem? This set is a real elephant and
one I'd really like to get out of the shop soon. Thanks,
Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics
David

Tuner audio problems most likely caused by a bad SBX1637 Sony MTS module
that is inside the if can.

The other problem might have been introduced.

There is always a possibility on a Toshiba set from that vintage to have a
leaky mute transistor somewhere, 2sa1114 or similar.

David

"Lenny" wrote in message
om...
This set came in with the complaint that the audio was intermittant. I
noted normal audio when I first powered it up with no evidence of
instability due to vibration. I pulled the chassis and repaired a few
questionable solder joints, reinstalled the chassis and now the audio
is barely audible. The output from the Var output jacks is also weak
as is the external speaker output. Feeding external audio in doesn't
work either. Now I'm not sure if this is THE problem I'm now seeing or
if perhaps I created a new one. I have no schematic on this one
either,(so what else is new)? Does anyone have any tips on this
chassis pertaining to this problem? This set is a real elephant and
one I'd really like to get out of the shop soon. Thanks,
Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics

Lenny

I'm going to replace the SBX first and see what happens. I saw the
SONY label on the can but I never realised that Toshiba used that
infamous module also.
Thanks for the tip, Lenny.
"David" dkuhajwrote in message ...
Tuner audio problems most likely caused by a bad SBX1637 Sony MTS module
that is inside the if can.

The other problem might have been introduced.

There is always a possibility on a Toshiba set from that vintage to have a
leaky mute transistor somewhere, 2sa1114 or similar.

David

"Lenny" wrote in message
om...
This set came in with the complaint that the audio was intermittant. I
noted normal audio when I first powered it up with no evidence of
instability due to vibration. I pulled the chassis and repaired a few
questionable solder joints, reinstalled the chassis and now the audio
is barely audible. The output from the Var output jacks is also weak
as is the external speaker output. Feeding external audio in doesn't
work either. Now I'm not sure if this is THE problem I'm now seeing or
if perhaps I created a new one. I have no schematic on this one
either,(so what else is new)? Does anyone have any tips on this
chassis pertaining to this problem? This set is a real elephant and
one I'd really like to get out of the shop soon. Thanks,
Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics

Lenny

The problem was the SBX. I replaced it and the set works fine. Thanks
again! Lenny.

(Lenny)
ogle.com...
I'm going to replace the SBX first and see what happens. I saw the
SONY label on the can but I never realised that Toshiba used that
infamous module also.
Thanks for the tip, Lenny.
"David" dkuhajwrote in message ...
Tuner audio problems most likely caused by a bad SBX1637 Sony MTS module
that is inside the if can.

The other problem might have been introduced.

There is always a possibility on a Toshiba set from that vintage to have a
leaky mute transistor somewhere, 2sa1114 or similar.

David

om...