Default Re : British to America Video Imports?

FYI:

The format of the output of a DVD player is almost entirely dependant
on the DVD player, with few exceptions.

Come on, they got progressive scan, a number of HDTV formats and who
knows what else. The true resolution of a DVD disc can be waaaaay
higher than we'll ever see on an actual TV.

Now, PAL is dead, as dead as NTSC. I must admit that PAL was better,
it's all a mute point now. This discussion is somewhat like older
discussions with people who have Beta tapes or Laser disks.

All in all, there are hacks, and such things are nessecary. There is
also copying. There is also getting just the right DVD player using an
IDE drive and putting an authentication free DVD drive in it. It should
play in the format for which it was designed at that point.

How can a DVD drive in a computer play in whatever size window you
dictate ? Random access memory.

Why (if you take the lid off), if you stop a DVD while it's playing you
get a freeze frame, and possibly a few more seconds of audio ? Same
answer: random access memory.

I respect the technology and what must've gone into it, but I think it
was pretty ****ty of them to come up with this region crap.

JURB

Dave Plowman (News)

In article om,
wrote:
The format of the output of a DVD player is almost entirely dependant
on the DVD player, with few exceptions.

Come on, they got progressive scan, a number of HDTV formats and who
knows what else. The true resolution of a DVD disc can be waaaaay
higher than we'll ever see on an actual TV.

Resolution on a static picture, yes. But it all gets rather messy with
movement. And the depths of colours. The definitive pro video recorder is
the DigiBeta, and you won't get that amount of data on a DVD.

Now, PAL is dead, as dead as NTSC. I must admit that PAL was better,
it's all a mute point now. This discussion is somewhat like older
discussions with people who have Beta tapes or Laser disks.

They were both a method of getting analogue compatible colour and B&W
pictures over a single circuit. PAL being later was obviously better.

All in all, there are hacks, and such things are nessecary. There is
also copying. There is also getting just the right DVD player using an
IDE drive and putting an authentication free DVD drive in it. It should
play in the format for which it was designed at that point.

How can a DVD drive in a computer play in whatever size window you
dictate ? Random access memory.

Why (if you take the lid off), if you stop a DVD while it's playing you
get a freeze frame, and possibly a few more seconds of audio ? Same
answer: random access memory.

I respect the technology and what must've gone into it, but I think it
was pretty ****ty of them to come up with this region crap.

Big business rulz.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.